Manager, Data Engineering
- Hyderabad, India
Amazon is one of the largest employers on the planet with hundreds of thousands of employees across the globe. Amazon's HR mission is to build a workplace for Amazonians to invent on behalf of our customers. We are enablers to help Amazon scale quickly and efficiently as we continue to expand rapidly across countries, business lines and size in general. The volume of internal human resource transactions and range of experiences to fulfill in this scale and diversity are massive and unique respectively. This requires a highly reliable, scalable and customized series of software applications that ensure our global employee base receives accurate, timely and best experiences throughout their employee lifecycle. Amazon has grown significantly since the deployment of these tools and we are now at an inflection point where we are making long term decisions to support our explosive global growth.
Our Time and Attendance group is seeking a bright and motivated Manager, Data Engineering, who has proven experience in leading organizations that manage global enterprise systems across multiple technology platforms. As part of Amazon People Technology's leadership team, in this key role, you will lead and deliver cross-functional and data engineering projects in the Time and Attendance space. You will work with a highly talented team of Product and Program Managers, Technical Program Managers, Software Development Engineers, Data Engineers and Functional Analysts who will develop and support Amazon class software applications to deliver the same. You will enhance and influence Amazon's Time and Attendance systems and road map and deliver large scale technology solutions and projects. These projects could range from implementing timekeeping solutions in new countries and business lines based on Amazon's global expansion to deep integration with other internal Amazon systems to provide a seamless employee experience. You will build, manage and lead an agile team consist of world-class data engineers, and functional analysts and will own Time and Attendance policy configurations, business rules, and customization's and custom integrations. You will be the escalation point for technical issues, and provide direction and leadership to technical employees and consultants. You and your team will establish technical best practices, create and manage standards and documentation, and own the technical specifications for related systems. You and your team will work on all project phases including fit/gap, requirements gathering, design, configuration, build, and testing. You must have strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to create technical documents. You will work with business users globally to understand technical and architecture requirements. You will develop relationships and work with leaders and end users in HR, Recruiting, Compensation, Human Capital Management, Benefits, Payroll, Stock, Labor Scheduling and other Amazon teams to understand requirements and design technical solutions.
• Lead a team of Data Engineers and Functional Analysts and deliver cross-functional, data engineering projects in the Time and Attendance space.
• Establish and drive data engineering best practices and set standards.
• Knows how to evaluate end-to-end data designs for strengths and weaknesses (data quality, scalability, latency, security, performance, data integrity, etc.)
• Knows how to decouple system dependencies, prevent duplicate engineering efforts, and mitigate risks that lead to data quality issues or that might cause deployment collisions/outages.
• Establish and clearly communicate organizational vision, goals and success measures.
• Build, Own, Prioritize, Lead and Deliver a roadmap of large and complex multi-functional, multi-geographic projects and program.
• Assess the right balance of risk to allocate the right resources, remove bottlenecks, provide escalation management, balance the business needs versus technical constraints and encourage risk taking behavior to maximize business benefit.
• Collaborate with business stakeholders to develop roadmap and product requirements.
• Collaborate with technical and design teams to define and design the product with the best customer experience.
• 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
• Experience managing a data or BI team
• Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
• Experience leading and influencing the data strategy of your team or organization
• Experience in SQL
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or a related technical discipline.
• Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles.
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules.
• Track record of developing engineers through various career stages and building high-performance teams.
• Experienced in using an iterative process such as SCRUM to deliver engineering projects; experience in continuous improvement to development process.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a proven ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• Master's degree in computer science, engineering or a related technical discipline.
• Functional knowledge of Time and Attendance or Workforce Management domains.
• Experience with Big Data Technologies
• Experience in scripting languages like Python.
• Experience with AWS services such as S3 and RDS.
Back to top