Amazon Alexa Speech and Language Technology team aims to create a delightful experience for Amazon's customers by making Alexa understand any spoken request quickly and accurately.
As Applied Science Manager you will lead a team of talented scientists in the invention, design, development of novel ML algorithms and modeling techniques for advancing speech and language technology, testing, and deployment of technology components, supporting a range of products. This involves: Conducting and coordinating research leading to improved accuracy of automatic speech recognition (ASR) and/or natural language understanding (NLU) systems.
Your responsibilities will include
• Direct management of scientists.
• Providing technical and scientific guidance to your team members.
• Strategic planning and project management for research projects within the team.
• Advancing state-of-the-art ASR technology
The successful candidate
• Leads effectively and prioritizes well.
• Exhibits excellent judgment.
• Hires and develops great people.
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the technology.
• Enables and fosters creativity and innovation on her/his team.
• Is results-orientated and has a consistent track record of delivery.
• Thinks big, out-of-the-box and long-term.
• Communicates effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from science, engineering and business backgrounds.
• Masters or PhD in computer science, computational linguistics, electrical engineering, applied mathematics, or a related field.
• Comprehensive knowledge of speech and language technology, including speech recognition and natural language understanding.
• 8+ years of relevant work experience OR a PhD and 5+ years of relevant work experience.
• Demonstrated leadership abilities.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills (English).
• Solid research track record with peer-reviewed publications in relevant areas.
• Explicit industry experience with spoken language understanding systems.
• Scientific thinking and the ability to invent, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
• Hands-on experience in programming and machine learning.
• Experience in professional software engineering best practices.
• Project management experience.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation