Amazon Alexa Speech and Language Technology team aims to create a delightful experience for Amazon's customers by making Alexa understand any spoken request quickly and accurately.
The Alexa Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) science team in India is rapidly growing. The team is responsible for advancing Alexa's core ASR technology (in collaboration with the EU and US counterparts) and building highly accurate ASR production models in multiple languages, such as English dialects (UK, AU, NZ, IN) and Indic (Hindi etc.) languages. The challenge is ASR models must generalize to various device form factors (smart speaker, multi-media devices, etc.), acoustic conditions (far-field, close-talk, mobile, and noisy), and content (natural conversations etc.). As part of the expansion, the team will be responsible for complex ML technologies such as (i) learning without relying on human transcribed data by leveraging abundant unlabelled data via semi-supervised learning (SSL) and self-supervised learning, and customer feedback signals through weak-supervision (WS) (ii) Online Learning and Lifelong Learning, which requires a major overhaul of the learning infrastructure and ML algorithms as data will not be stored for training (iii) Privacy-preserving Federated-Learning, which enables training where audio does not even leave the devices. (iv) multilingual ASR technology, where a single ASR model will serve multiple languages (e.g., Indic languages). Apart from working on cutting-edge ML technology, you will have the opportunity to work on some exciting still confidential new products and also publish your work in top-tier conferences.
As Applied Science Manager you will lead a team of talented scientists in the invention, design, development of novel ML algorithms and modeling techniques for advancing speech and language technology, testing, and deployment of technology components, supporting a range of products. This involves: Conducting and coordinating research leading to improved accuracy of automatic speech recognition (ASR) and/or natural language understanding (NLU) systems.
Your responsibilities will include
• Direct management of scientists.
• Providing technical and scientific guidance to your team members.
• Strategic planning and project management for research projects within the team.
• Advancing state-of-the-art ASR technology
The successful candidate
• Leads effectively and prioritizes well.
• Exhibits excellent judgment.
• Hires and develops great people
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the technology
• Enables and fosters creativity and innovation on her/his team
• Is results-orientated and has a consistent track record of delivery
• Thinks big, out-of-the-box and long-term
• Communicates effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from science, engineering and business backgrounds
• Masters or PhD in computer science, computational linguistics, electrical engineering, applied mathematics, or a related field
• Comprehensive knowledge of speech and language technology, including speech recognition and natural language understanding.
• 8+ years of relevant work experience OR a PhD and 5+ years of relevant work experience
• Demonstrated leadership abilities
• Excellent written and oral communication skills (English)
• Solid research track record with peer-reviewed publications in relevant areas
• Explicit industry experience with spoken language understanding systems
• Scientific thinking and the ability to invent, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
• Hands-on experience in programming and machine learning
• Experience in professional software engineering best practices
• Project management experience
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation