Manager, Applied Science
- San Francisco, CA
The Team: Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout-you just grab and go! Customers simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what they want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go!
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology, which automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you're done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we'll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our Just Walk Out Technology uses a variety of technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earths' most customer centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design.
The Role: Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that's more startup than big company. We'll need to tackle problems that span a variety of domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning, real-time and distributed systems. Do you want to join a team of scientists who use computer vision and machine learning to keep Amazon at the frontiers of AI? Are you excited by the prospect of analyzing and modeling terabytes of data and create state-of-art algorithms to solve real world problems? Do you like to own end-to-end business problems/metrics and directly impact the profitability of the company? Do you like to innovate and simplify? If yes, then you may be a great fit to join our Research group.
• Lead the development and implementation of computer vision and machine learning models and algorithms
• Applies advanced mathematical theory, statistical analysis and machine learning techniques to improve existing approaches and designs.
• Designs solutions for complex business problems while keeping a company-wide perspective using quantitative methods
• Executes highly complex projects and plays a role in key aspects of a strategic project.
• Establishing efficient, automated processes for large data analyses, model development, model validation and model implementation.
• Plan, design, execute and measure controlled experiments to understand impact of our actions
• Understand high-level business objectives and continually align work with those objectives to meet needs of business (ROI, cost-benefit analysis).
• Manage, mentor and coach researchers
• Effectively advocate technical solutions to business stakeholders, engineering teams, as well as executive level decision makers.
• Design strategies for effective use of model output.
• Maintain a culture of innovation via rapid prototyping and research to leverage new data sources and techniques.
• Leads report-writing efforts to communicate analysis and proposed solutions to stakeholders.
• M.S / Ph.D in Computer Science or related field
• Industry or academic experience with one of more of the following domains: computer vision, deep learning, machine learning, distributed systems.
• 5+ years of industry experience
• Ability to drive teams to rapidly prototype research algorithms and evaluate them against real-world (customer-centric) problems
• Experience managing a team of researchers/scientists and SDEs
• Experience in developing novel and practical solutions for real world problem
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top