Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
Sponsored Products helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising that grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The Sponsored Products Ad Marketplace organization optimizes the systems and ad placements to match advertiser demand with publisher supply using a combination of machine learning, big data analytics, ultra-low latency high-volume engineering systems, and quantitative product focus. Our goals are to help buyers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for advertisers to meet their business objectives, and to build a major, sustainable business that helps Amazon continuously innovate on behalf of all customers.
We are seeking a Senior Applied Science Manager who has a solid background in applied Machine Learning and AI, deep passion for building data-driven products; ability to communicate data insights and scientific vision, and has a proven track record of leading both applied scientists and software engineers to execute complex projects and deliver business impacts.
In this role, you will:
• Lead a group of both applied scientists and software engineers to deliver machine-learning and AI solutions to production.
• Advance team's engineering craftsmanship and drive continued scientific innovation as a thought leader and practitioner.
• Develop science and engineering roadmap, run Sprint/quarter and annual planning, and foster cross-team collaboration to execute complex projects.
• Perform hands-on data analysis, build machine-learning models, run regular A/B tests, and communicate the impact to senior management.
• Hire and develop top talents, provide technical and career development guidance to both scientists and engineers in the organization.
• MS or PhD in Computer Science, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Statistics, Mathematics, or related discipline
• At least 10 years of experience in managing a team of applied scientists and/or engineers as a tech lead or manager
• At least 10 years experience in building large-scale machine learning and AI solutions at Internet scale
• At least 10 years of experience with, at least, one model programming language such as Java, Python, Scala, C++
• M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Statistics, Mathematics, or related discipline
• Experience in building large-scale machine-learning models and infra for online recommendation, ads ranking, personalization, or search, etc.
• Experience with Big Data technologies such as AWS, Hadoop, Spark, Pig, Hive, Lucene/SOLR or Storm/Samza
• Published research work in academic conferences or industry circles
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts and solutions to all levels of the organization
• Experience in computational advertising
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age