Manager, Applied Science
- Seattle, WA
Amazon's Product Assurance, Risk and Security (PARS) Team is looking for a smart, energetic, and creative Manager of Applied Science to lead scientists to apply and extend state-of-the-art research in NLP, probabilistic graphs, multi-modal inputs, domain adaptation, meta-learning, and large multi-label hierarchical classification. At Amazon, we are working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. Millions of customers trust us to ensure a safe shopping experience. This is an exciting and challenging position to drive research that will shape new ML solutions for product and food safety, and restricted product compliance in order to achieve best-in-class, company-wide standards around product assurance.
We are seeking an Applied Science Manager with a solid background in applied Machine Learning, deep passion for building data-driven solutions; ability to communicate data insights and scientific vision, and has a proven track record of leading applied scientists to execute complex projects and deliver business impacts. You will focus on protecting our customers and supply chain, and partner with software engineers and product managers to design new ML solutions implemented across the entire Amazon product catalog.
- Lead a team of applied scientists to deliver machine-learning solutions from ideation, exploration to production.
- Audit state-of-the-art algorithms in NLP, probabilistic graphs, multi-modal inputs, domain adaptation, meta-learning, and large multi-label hierarchical classification
- Advance applied science best practices and drive continued scientific innovation as a thought leader and practitioner.
- Develop science roadmap, run sprint, quarter and annual planning.
- Foster cross-team collaboration with product, UX, and tech partners to experiment and launch new product features
- Analyze and convey impact and results to senior management and stakeholders
- Hire and develop top talents, provide technical and career development guidance to scientists in the organization.
• MS or PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning or other related fields
• 5+ years of experience managing a team of scientists in an industrial applied science setting, where your team's work was directly incorporated into production systems
• Proficiency in Python, and modern ML frameworks
• Understanding of computer science fundamentals such as data structures, object-oriented design and service-oriented architectures
• Ability to convey Machine Learning concepts and considerations to all levels of the organization
• PhD in NLP, probabilistic graphs, domain adaptation, meta-learning, multimodal learning, or other relevant areas
• Experience building generalized machine learning models and infrastructure for classification problems with multiple internal and external sources of inputs (tabular, text, images)
• Experience with explainable multi-modal architectures
• Experience working with distributed processing of terabytes of text data
• Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in relevant field
• Experience defining organizational research and development practices in industry
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Back to top