Do you have experience working with or building information retrieval, search or question answering systems? Are you passionate about functional and operational performance? Do you want a chance to use cutting-edge tools, technologies and work in close collaboration with machine learning scientist to deliver value to millions of customers?
About the team
At Amazon Alexa AI-Web Information, our core projects target answering questions customers ask Alexa on any device or any language by leveraging the power of web data. We have various projects ranging from web crawling, classifying content/text documents at scale, building indexing systems for information retrieval tasks and using neural based techniques for question answering. Our team is based in the coastal area of Los Angeles (Manhattan Beach), 2 miles away from the ocean and a 20 mins drive from downtown Los Angeles, Santa Monica, and Venice Beach.
Job responsibilities include
- Collaborate closely with applied scientists on machine learning operations tasks ranging from ML data management to training and deployment of ML models. This work will be primarily based on Python and a distributed computing framework (e.g. Spark).
- Develop data collections, labeling pipelines and evaluation pipelines. Research and develop machine learning models for text training resources.
- Design and build text-based storage and indexing systems in a large distributed computing environment and ensure these systems are scalable, fault-tolerant, low cost, and easy to manage/use, etc.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Experience in ML as listed in preferred qualifications
- Alternative locations include Boston, Seattle, San Jose
An ideal candidate will have experience or have demonstrated expertise in some of the following:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent experience in ML
- ML data management (collect, store, manage data), creating training datasets (data labeling, feature engineering, data partitioning, sampling and slicing), building and training machine learning infrastructure, model deployment (inference constraints, model compression, server and client side ML, employment evaluation), ML infrastructure monitoring and maintenance, familiarity with architectural choices for ML systems.
- Prior experience with using or maintaining a NoSQL database (e.g. MongoDB) is a plus.
- Prior programming experience and expertise in Python (and basic ML libraries such as numpy, scipy) and a distributed computing framework (e.g. Spark) is a plus.
- Experience managing and running Mturk experiments
- Adept at handling ambiguous or undefined problems
- Prior experience working in collaboration with ML/data scientists
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us// .