Amazon relies on the latest technology to deliver millions of packages every day to our customers on time, at low cost, and safely. The Middle Mile Planning Research & Optimization Science team builds complex science models and solutions that work across our vendors, warehouses and carriers to optimize both time & cost of getting the packages delivered. Our models are state-of-the-art, make business decisions impacting billions of dollars a year, and improve ordering and delivery experience for millions of online shoppers. That said, this remains a fast growing business and our journey has only started. Our mission is to build the most efficient and transportation network on the planet, using our science and technology as our biggest advantage. We aim to leverage cutting edge technologies in machine learning and operations research to grow our businesses.
As a Machine Learning Applied Scientist, you'll design, model, develop and implement state-of-the-art machine learning models and solutions used by Amazon worldwide. You will need to collaborate effectively with internal stakeholders and cross-functional teams to solve problems, create operational efficiencies, and deliver successfully against high organizational standards. As part of your role you will regularly interact with software engineering teams and business leadership. The focus of this role is to research, develop, and deploy predictive models that will inform and support our business, primarily in the areas of carrier safety.
• Lead and partner with the engineering and operations teams to drive modeling and technical design for complex business problems.
• Develop accurate and scalable machine learning models and methods to solve our hardest predictive problems in transportation.
• Lead complex modeling analyses to aid management in making key business decisions and set new policies.
• M.S. or Ph.D. in Statistics, Data Science, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a related field.
• Detailed knowledge of applied machine learning methods and predictive modeling.
• Demonstrable work experience on machine learning models that have been deployed into production systems (strategic, planning, and/or operational).
• Experience in writing scripts (Python) and/or software applications in programming languages such as C++, Java.
• Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Strong problem-solving ability and the ability to work in ambiguous and constantly evolving environment.
• Strong personal interest in developing, researching, and creating new technologies with high customer impact.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team.
• Experience in the design and analysis of algorithms.
• Experience with writing database queries in query languages such as SQL.
• Experience with optimization methods such as mathematical programming, heuristic optimization, and graph theory algorithms.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.