Live Ops/Sports Support Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Prime Video is disrupting the traditional television and movie industry with a massive selection of high-quality media for live streaming and download. Our services are engineered for high availability, maximum reach, and low operating costs which translate into affordable prices for our customers. We enable the world to watch video instantly, whether we're on the road, cramped in an airplane seat, or enjoying a show from the comfort of the living room sofa.
In addition to movies and television VOD, Prime Video delivers thousands of live events, including many sports leagues (NFL, EPL, US Open, ATP, AVP, PGA, MLB, and NBA) to living room and OTT devices, Windows and MacOS PCs, phones, tablets, gaming consoles, and smart TVs. Today, we serve customers all around the world, and we aspire to grow- a lot.
The Live Operations team delivers consistent, elite customer experiences which "just work" for everyday consumers. We build reliable, high performance live experiences, and we take ownership of the end-to-end live streaming experience- from the venue, through our encoding and delivery platform, out through PV's client applications. Our team makes a big impact because nothing is more important to us than pleasing our customers, continually earning their trust, and thinking long term. If you crave a sense of ownership, this is the place to be.
Our Live Operations team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, hard-working and operationally focused Support Engineer to support the fast evolving and expanding video eco-system behind PV's live events. You will have an enormous opportunity to work within multiple systems, analyzing and identifying the common issues, and driving the teams towards resolution to have a positive impact on customer experience. This job requires you to hit the ground running and your ability to learn quickly and work on disparate and overlapping tasks will define your success. The role encompasses providing production ticket support (tier-3 support, escalations to engineering teams) for multiple products and platforms, engineering development and testing support, and monitoring the health of PV's live streaming pipeline. As a lead support engineer during live events, you will be communicating with on-site production teams and encoding partners, drive the overall event in a call leader capacity, and be responsible for communication and escalation with senior leadership. As a call leader, you will be to executing the successful delivery of live events to our customers.
Key job functions
• Execute multiple live streaming events concurrently; be the sole owner of many tier-1 live events for our customers making sure they have the highest quality experience
• Make in-room decisions as a call leader; organizing tasks between production, service partners, and directing other support engineers during live events.
• Work with senior engineers and other teams on high-severity, active support issues, prioritizing mitigation while investigating root-cause fixes
• Deliver event reports to senior leadership
• Act as on-call support and point of escalation for high-severity issues
• Aid in the development and testing of operational tools that improve efficiency through automation
• Ownership of one or more video products or components
• Customer notification and workflow co-ordination with follow-up to maintain service level agreements
• Creating and maintaining team specific knowledge-base articles and operational and training documentation
• Assist in the training of new Support staff as the team grows
• 3+ years of development or technical support experience
• Experience troubleshooting and debugging technical systems
• Experience scripting in modern programming languages
• 4+ years overall development/technical support experience, ticket creation and escalation
• 3+ years streaming video delivery experience, and understanding of encoding and transcoding technologies
• 2+ years of technical operations experience, including support and incident management, operations monitoring, process improvements, and metrics reporting
• Experience with on-site, live video production or master control facility operations
• Knowledge of streaming video pipelines and technologies, including encoding hardware/software (i.e., Elemental, ffmpeg, Harmonic) video delivery, acquisition, codecs, adaptive bit rate video playback, and common streaming protocols
• Experience with video quality metric tools (i.e. TAG, IneoQuest)
• Fundamental knowledge of AWS technologies, and networking concepts
• Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues, you're a natural problem solver!
• Clear and concise written communication skills, and experience writing process and training documentation and technical papers
• Excellent interpersonal and customer relationship skills
• Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence.
• Experience in a technical customer support role
• Experience in a technical QA role
• Experience as a Program or Project Manager
• Experience working in live sports
• Basic knowledge of networking systems and hardware installation, including server and switch configuration
Back to top