Live Infrastructure Support Engineer
- Santa Monica, CA
Prime Video is disrupting the traditional television and movie industry with a massive selection of high-quality media for live streaming and download. Our services are engineered for high availability, maximum reach, and low operating costs which translate into affordable prices for our customers. We enable the world to watch video instantly, whether we're on the road, cramped in an airplane seat, or enjoying a show from the comfort of the living room sofa.
In addition to movies and television VOD, Prime Video delivers thousands of live events and hundreds of live channels, including many sports leagues (NFL, EPL, US Open, ATP, AVP, PGA, MLB, and NBA) to living room and OTT devices, Windows and MacOS PCs, phones, tablets, gaming consoles, and smart TVs. Today, we serve customers all around the world, and we aspire to grow- a lot.
The Live Infrastructure team delivers consistent, elite customer experiences which "just work" for everyday consumers. We build and maintain reliable, high performance live experiences, and we take ownership of the end-to-end live streaming experience- from the venue, through our encoding and delivery platform, out through PV's client applications. Our team makes a big impact because nothing is more important to us than pleasing our customers, continually earning their trust, and thinking long term. If you crave a sense of ownership, this is the place to be.
Our Live Operations team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, hard-working and operationally focused Support Engineer to support the fast evolving and expanding Live Infrastructure team for live events and linear channels. You will have an enormous opportunity to work within multiple systems, analyzing and identifying the common issues, and driving the teams towards resolution to have a positive impact on customer experience. This job requires you to hit the ground running and your ability to learn quickly and work on disparate and overlapping tasks will define your success. The role encompasses providing production ticket support (tier-2 support, escalations to engineering teams) for multiple products and platforms, engineering development and testing support, and monitoring the health of PV's live streaming pipelines. As a Live Infrastructure support engineer, you will be communicating with multiple teams within Live Playback and external broadcast partners, driving resolution of customer impacting issues, and be responsible for communication and escalation with senior leadership. You will also play a key role in maintaining and improving all components of the live infrastructure pipeline.
Key job functions
• Act as the primary support for Prime Video's hundreds of 24-7 live linear channels across the world, triaging and resolving issues as they arise.
• Work with senior engineers, development teams, and external broadcast partners on high-severity, active support issues, prioritizing mitigation while investigating root-cause fixes.
• Assist with routine maintenance of infrastructure for signal acquisition, live encoding, packaging, and distribution. Onboard new feed infrastructure to support new live event properties.
• Manage incoming maintenance notifications, documenting impact on live events and linear channels. Work with external event support teams to mitigate customer impact of maintenance issues.
• Act as on-call support and point of escalation for high-severity issues on live events.
• Aid in the development and testing of operational tools that improve efficiency through automation.
• Ownership of one or more video products or components
• Customer notification and workflow co-ordination with follow-up to maintain service level agreements
• Creating and maintaining team specific knowledge-base articles and operational and training documentation
• Assist in the training of new Support staff as the team grows
• 3+ years of development or technical support experience
• Experience troubleshooting and debugging technical systems
• Experience scripting in modern programming languages
• 4+ years overall development/technical support experience, ticket creation and escalation
• 3+ years streaming video delivery experience, and understanding of encoding and transcoding technologies
• 2+ years of technical operations experience, including support and incident management, operations monitoring, process improvements, and metrics reporting
• Experience with on-site, live video production or master control facility operations
• Knowledge of streaming video pipelines and technologies, including encoding hardware/software (i.e., Elemental, ffmpeg, Harmonic) video delivery, acquisition, codecs, adaptive bit rate video playback, and common streaming protocols
• Fundamental knowledge of AWS technologies, and networking concepts
• Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues, you're a natural problem solver!
• Clear and concise written communication skills, and experience writing process and training documentation and technical papers
• Excellent interpersonal and customer relationship skills
• Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience in a technical customer support role
• Experience in a technical QA role
• Experience working in live sports or linear 24/7 broadcast environments
• Basic knowledge of networking systems and hardware installation, including server and switch configuration
Back to top