Linux System Administrator
- Arlington, VA
Would you like to help implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve the world's most complex technical problems? Do you have a deep passion and desire to engineer and operate the world's largest cloud computing infrastructure to provide a better world for future generations?
Amazon Web Services is seeking top industry technical expert to grow our team dedicated to expanding our Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) to government customers. We are seeking a talented engineer skilled in the art of integration who understands the Agile mindset and DevOps philosophies, yet is not constrained by how "things are usually done" and is willing to decompose and reinvent systems, processes, and tools. We're looking for a technical expert for one of the largest compute services on the planet; if you possess that rare mix of depth in Development, Operations, Networking, and Systems Engineering then we are waiting for your application.
Amazon has a fast-paced environment where we "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History." On a "typical" day engineers might deep dive to root cause a customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss radical new approaches to automate operational issues.
You'll be part of a world-class team in a fast-paced environment that has the entrepreneurial feel of a start-up. This is an opportunity to operate and engineer systems on a massive scale, and to gain top-notch experience in cloud computing. You'll be surrounded by people who are smart, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class service is critical to customer success. You'll become a master at EC2 platform diagnosis, response, measurement, and automation. You will be able to measure your success by its visible impact on the efficiency and effectiveness of government services for our nation.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
Apply to meet our talented team and let's see if you are the one that can help us scale to meet the demand of our largest government customers! Become our leading expert on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) products and services.
This positions can sit in Herndon VA, Arlington VA, Seattle WA.
Our engineers spend time:
• Maintaining the world's most advanced cloud computing infrastructure including Amazon Web Services EC2, EBS, ECS, and more.
• Investigating system variances about to affect major services worldwide and solving them proactively before impacting customers.
• Diving deep into service interdependencies and region specific configurations to find the root of a problem about to affect an entire nation.
• Studying and learning from industry recognized Amazon distinguished engineers.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
• 1+ years of Linux experience
• 1+ years of Agile methods and processes experience
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
• Strong sense of ownership and urgency
• Strong debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues
• Excellent troubleshooting skills at all levels, from application to network to host
• Able to work in a diverse team
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of TS/SCI with Polygraph
• Advanced degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline
• 3+ years of Linux experience
• 3+ years of Agile methods and processes experience
• Exposure to massive-scaled distributed systems
• Experience with SQL scripts and database administration
• Experience in a 24x7 production environment, esp. one based on Linux
• Knowledge of TCP/IP networking, architecture, and core technologies (such as DNS, DHCP, HTTP, Routing, VPN)
• Knowledge of configuration management systems, such as: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or related systems
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top