Linux Support Engineer, AWS Identity & Access
Amazon Web Services is a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. We are building some of the largest and most complex distributed systems in the world, and we need world class people to help us implement and operate them.
We provide organizations with building block web services that allow them to innovate faster and operate their software more cost-effectively. These services-in-the-cloud include on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, querying of structured data, message queuing, and more.
The AWS Identity & Access team is building and delivering the next generation of cloud computing security that supports the public AWS offerings like S3, EC2, and CloudFront. We are innovating new ways of building massively scalable distributed security systems involving identity management, federation, web services security, single sign-on, and much more. We enable our customers to control some of the most sensitive secrets on the Internet.
We have high standards for our computer systems as well as our employees: our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, and must function at massive scale; our employees are super smart, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with. The successful Support Engineer does much more than plug computers together or track changes. They are instrumental in deploying, operating, and scaling a massive always-on distributed system that is core to all of AWS. We are looking for a seasoned Support Engineer to join our energetic, fast-moving and passionate team.
You should have or be most of the following:
- Experience running and maintaining a 24x7 Internet-oriented production environment, preferably across multiple data centers, involving (preferably) hundreds of machines
- Demonstrable expertise around specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools, and software management tools for 24x7 environments
- A solid grasp of networking fundamentals, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers, switches, routers, etc.
- Familiar with the challenges surrounding efficient operations and failure mode analysis in large complex distributed systems
You will be expected to deliver on these kinds of things in the first six to twelve months on the job:
- Write and review accurate and complete support procedures, system documentation, and issue tracking entries
- Conduct monitoring and troubleshooting of Unix/Linux systems running AWS Identity and Access software
- Deploy new or scale existing systems and software using automated build and deployment tools
- Configure monitoring/alarming for new and existing systems using automated configuration tools
- Provide 24x7 on-call support during assigned periods
- BS Computer Science or other technical degree and related experience
- 1+ year experience running and maintaining a 24x7 production environment
- 1+ years of experience in operating systems administration or software development
- 1+ year experience with support procedures and methodologies for production computing environments
- 1+ year experience supporting service-oriented architecture and web services
Applicants must possess and maintain an active Top Secret security clearance (TS) with SCI eligibility. A US Government administered polygraph examination may be required. Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access is not required to start; however, the applicant selected will be subject to a Single-Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified national security information. Applicants with a current SSBI, SBPR, or PPR, may be eligible for crossover in accordance with ICPG 704.4.
- Experience with very large, high-throughput distributed systems
- Systems Administration in a Linux/Unix environment
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Excellent documentation skills
- Able to show good judgment and instincts in decision making
- Able to prioritize and perform in complex, fast-paced situation
For more information on Amazon Web Services please visit:http://aws.amazon.com/
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top