Leave of Absence & Disability Specialist
The Leave of Absence & Disability (L&D) Master Specialist will contribute deep subject matter expertise to LOAA initiatives, including operational performance, product development and continuous improvement. As a thought-leader, the position collaborates with key business stakeholders and LOAA program leaders to ensure the program is successful across the organization.
The L&D Master Specialist will possess excellent Integrated Disability and Absence Management (IDAM) knowledge, with demonstrated expertise in Federal/State FMLA, short- and long-term disability, statutory disability plans, and/or disability accommodation (ADA/ADAAA/FEHA, etc.). The L&D Master Specialist will work within a team of similarly-situated subject matter experts (SMEs), providing support to our regionally-deployed operational team, as well as teams located in Costa Rica and India.
The L&D Master Specialist must have strong self-management skills, a desire to influence and teach, and an ability to translate business needs and goals into human resource capabilities, producing favorable results for the company and associates. In addition, the L&D Master Specialist should exhibit exceptional organizational skills, superior attention to detail and an ability to prioritize and scale in a fast-paced environment. This individual will demonstrate strong communication, analytical and critical thinking skills, along with a customer service focus that associates and program stakeholders expect from Amazon.
The primary responsibility for the L&D Master Specialist will be to operationalize new program and continuous program improvement initiatives, and mentor the development of our operational team. In this "hand's on" role, the L&D Master Specialist will work with LOAA process owners to develop best practice workflows, establish deployment strategies, deliver learning and training, participate in quality and audit assessments, provide guidance to internal and external stakeholders, and be a source of expertise for LOAA operational teams.
The major areas of influence are:
New Program Feature Launches
Participates as contributory Subject Matter Expert (SME) in implementing new elements of the LOAA program, as defined by LOAA leadership and in partnership with the LOAA Design & Develop team:
- Contributes to operational deployment plans outlining critical and best practice launch activities
- Conducts new program initiative readiness assessments and establishes goals and success indictors to ensure successful feature implementation
- Develops and implements standardized training materials, tools and resources
- Conducts post-deployment evaluations to measure launch effectiveness
- Supports the ongoing "incubation" of new features among the LOAA operational team, many of whom are outside the U.S. in our Costa Rica and India delivery hubs
Continuous Program Improvement
The L&D Master Specialist contributes deep subject matter expertise to the continuous improvement of all LOAA operations, as defined by LOAA leadership and in partnership with the LOAA Continuous Program Improvement (CPI) team:
- Provides guidance with respect to best practices related to disability, return to work, accommodation, and leave of absence;
- Participates in assessments of program performance;
- Engages in reviewing compliance of work process flows, Standard Operating Procedures, and Service Level Agreements.
- Delivers data driven recommendations and best practices to leaders to improve program performance.
The L&D Master Specialist is viewed as, and accessible as, a deep subject matter expert outside LOAA, among the many stakeholders touched by leave and accommodation, as called upon by the LOAA operational team:
- Builds trust and confidence in the LOAA team
- Influences change to ensure operational standards are met
- Contributes to growing the expertise of our stakeholders, by participating in summit meetings, tough case reviews, resolution of escalated cases and consultation
- Collaborates with legal and compliance stakeholders on regulatory/employment liability issues as they relate to complex cases and/or policy development with leave, disability and/or accommodation
Program Consultation and Ownership
The L&D Master Specialist is viewed as, and accessible as, a deep subject matter expert inside LOAA:
- Serves in a consultative role to the LOAA teams on complex cases
- Consults and partner with LOAA program leaders and stakeholders to ensure programs are fully integrated across all LOAA business lines
- Serves in a consultancy role in the design and development of new program features and cutting edge solutions to enhance LOAA program services and performance
The L&D Master Specialist plays a key leadership role in refining and deploying an apprenticeship learning and development model, designed to bring all members of the LOAA operational team to a sound foundational competency in the domains of leave, disability and/or accommodation:
- Works with our learning team on development activities
- Develops expertise-based content for learning and development initiatives
- Delivers learning and training activities, as assigned and consistent with the individual's domain of expertise
- Mentors individuals, as assigned, in their professional development
- Participates as a preceptor in proctored learning and development assessments
- Bachelor's degree from accredited university
- Minimum of five years of "hand's on" experience working as an operational or consultancy leader in the areas of leave of absence, disability management, return to work management, and/or workplace accommodation
- Knowledge of federal and state disability laws regarding employees with disabilities, specifically ADA/ADAAA and FMLA
- Knowledge of federal, state and local leave of absence regulations, specifically FMLA
- Ability to travel as appropriate (50%), including foreign travel; must have no legal/immigration barriers to traveling internationally within 30 days of hire
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, both verbal and in writing
- Proven ability to build strong relationships and influence others while working in a cross functional environment, preferably with senior members of the business
- Detail orientation with ability to analyze, problem solve, organize and manage multiple priorities and excellent follow up skills in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
Technically proficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and PowerPoint
- An advanced degree or 10 years' equivalent experience in either Integrated Disability and Absence Management, Workers' Compensation or Risk Management
- Experience working with hourly workforces of significant size and complexity, particularly union and non-union manufacturing, distribution and/or call centers
- Experience working with knowledge workers, particularly programmers and highly skilled technology workforces
- Experience with providing leave and/or accommodation services from outside the U.S.
- Experience with leave and/or disability laws outside the U.S.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top