Lead Data Engineer - Alexa Information Experience
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. Voice is the most natural user interface for interacting in the home and is quickly becoming the preferred way to seek information on any topic, at any time, from any place. Whether in the kitchen with Echo, on the couch with Fire TV, or on the go with mobile, customers expect Alexa to delight them with immediate and accurate answers to their questions.
The Lead Data Engineer is responsible for helping the Alexa Information team understand customer behavior across and within all of our content areas including traffic, weather, local search, sports, science, math, business, politics, and more. In this highly visible role, he/she will provide reporting, analyze data, make sense of the results and be able to explain what it all means to key stakeholders - ranging from VPs to engineers, from marketers to product managers.
The successful candidate will be an expert with analyzing large data sets and have exemplary communication skills. The candidate will need to be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and able to think big while paying careful attention to detail.
In addition to providing valuable insight into our customers, this person will work extensively with Amazon product management teams, partner marketing teams, technical teams, finance, and operations to help grow the business. As a lead on the team, you will be expected to drive architectural plans and documentation, and lead communications across groups. As a subject matter expert, you will also mentor and potentially manage a small team (2-3 persons) of business analysts and data engineers.
You love working with data, can create clear and effective reports and data visualizations, and can partner with customers to answer key business questions. You will also have the opportunity to display your skills in the following areas:
- Define requirements for reporting usage data, customer behavior, and technical performance metrics, and work with technical teams and product managers to integrate into our development schedules
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions
- Develop, implement, and automate processes to collect and manage usage data from multiple sources
- Partner with internal and external market research teams to analyze our customers and the competitive environment
- Derive insights from customer feedback and usage data and provide input into new product development
- Drive architectural plans and implementation for data storage, reporting, and analytics.
- Mentor and potentially manage a small team of business analysts and data engineers
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, or related technical field
- 8+ years of years of relevant professional work experience in analytics, data engineering, business intelligence, market research or related field
- Experience gathering business requirements, using industry standard business intelligence tools to extract data, formulate metrics and build reports
- Experience using SQL, ETL and databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
- Experience communicating analytical outcomes in person and in writing to both business and technical teams
- Experience with statistical modeling and analyzing large data sets
- Graduate degree in business, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative field
- Experience mentoring and managing data analysts
- Experience in consumer-facing industry
- Both technically deep and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within the organization
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects across functional teams, including engineering, merchandising, design, marketing, finance, and operations
- Experience with data visualization using Tableau or similar tools
- Experience with AWS technologies including Redshift, RDS, S3, EMR, EML
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top