Lead Commissioning Engineer
AWS is looking for a dynamic Commissioning Lead Engineer.
It is the responsibility of the Commissioning Lead Engineer to manage work related to the full lifecycle commissioning of critical infrastructure construction and special projects at a regional level. Functionally, the Commissioning Engineer is responsible for managing and supervising the commissioning of various systems including medium and low voltage electrical system, generators, UPS, HVAC, chilled water, and building/power management systems. This is completed via self-perform in-house commissioning and/or the management of third party commissioning agents. The lead engineer works closely with various stakeholders including the Program Manager, Construction Manager, Engineering Managers, Controls Manager, and the Construction Team to provide project and program level advice and leadership. This role is responsible to provide multi-discipline input into the review, scheduling, and planning of regional commissioning projects. In addition, the Commissioning Lead Engineer owns or assists with developing multi-discipline commissioning strategy documents.
The Commissioning Lead Engineer communicates with the project teams in order to make sure that the applicable documents are created in accordance with all commissioning requirements. Responsibilities also include functionally developing, managing and delivering the commissioning execution strategy, schedule and cost. The Commissioning Lead Engineer must review and approve all multi-discipline functional and integrated systems testing as well as commissioning processes to ensure they are compliant with the procedures, specifications and standards of the project. It is the Commissioning Engineer's responsibility to make sure that commissioning procedures follow appropriate safety practices and procedures. This role enthusiastically participates in all project and company safety programs. In addition, the Commissioning Lead Engineer must audit commissioning activities regularly to ensure compliance with environmental, quality, and safety requirements. He or she is responsible for regularly monitoring and reporting regional commissioning progress to the global team
The successful candidate can choose to work from one of the following locations: Columbus, OH or Herndon, VA
- Understand the design concept and intent by reviewing electrical, mechanical, and plumbing documentation, including drawings, sequence of operations, and scheduled equipment.
- Provide recommendations and feedback regarding the design, equipment selection, testing requirements, maintainability and potential enhancements.
- Review documentation for compliance with Amazon standards, commissioning standards, and specifications.
- Assess the capability of scope and documentation to achieve the design intent
- Verify mechanical, electrical and controls systems and oversee operation of the systems in normal, maintenance and failure modes of operations.
- Verify that performance and functional capabilities are complete per Amazon standards and contract documents.
- Communicate noted commissioning issues, questions and concerns through proper channels in a timely manner
- Determine whether the equipment vendors and installing contractors have completed all required responsibilities
- Develop, review, and approve region wide commissioning schedule and plans
- Oversee and report on project specific static, start-up, and dynamic field testing.
- Oversee and support internal as well as 3rd party commissioning agents
- Monitoring progress and reviewing commissioning results
- Conduct commissioning coordination meetings as needed with project management, controls, balance, and startup representatives
- Review completed commissioning documentation and deliver to internal stakeholders
- Track and trend region wide commissioning issues
- Represent Amazon at project specific commissioning coordination meetings
Represent Commissioning within regional build team coordination and collaboration efforts.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, Outlook and Visio required; working knowledge of SharePoint(or similar) preferred.
- Min of 7 years of working knowledge of electrical, mechanical or control systems.
- Demonstrated Ability to read and understand construction documents (drawings, specifications, equipment submittals, sequence of operations, etc.).
- Basic understanding of security and fire/life safety systems.
- Experience and knowledge of engineering, construction and commissioning processes
- Experience leading multiple concurrent teams and projects.
- Effective communication at team and senior leadership levels.
- BA/BS Mechanical or Electrical Engineering degree, Construction Management Degree, or equivalent work experience.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Experience in Process Improvement such as Lean practices and Operational Excellence
- Advanced understanding on industry safety practices and procedures
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top