Please note: this position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
The AWS Security Systems Operations team is hiring a cleared Lead Cloud Engineer to support cloud security services for the U.S. Intelligence Community. Our team is tasked with protecting the AWS infrastructure that is used by our National Security customers. Join our mission to help lead, deploy, and support the security systems that raise the security bar for the U.S. Government.
As a Cloud Engineer on our team, you will be instrumental in managing the operational load to scale a massive & always-on distributed system, proactively automating away problems in order to improve the quality of service for our security operations customers.
If you thrive in operating complex systems, diagnosing and resolving the hardest corner case operations problems, please apply! Our systems engineers don't just solve problems - we look to engineer services to scale with lots of automation, decreasing effort along the way. We know that the really interesting problems are hiding inside this automation challenge.
You'll work side-by-side with our security engineers and service development teams to deploy and maintain the security information and event management (SIEM) platform they use every day. We have a lot of log data to process and we need your help! You'll implement mechanisms to drive our availability metrics up and our latency metrics down. We're need you to "think big" and ensure that we're set up to scale for the future. We need you to Invent and Simplify new operational tools to improve the velocity of our Security Operations service customers.
If you join our team, you will...
• Help guide less senior engineers to grow and develop their skills and "force-multiply" to accomplish our goals
• Operate within the team of peer engineers with lots of personal autonomy to solve complex systems engineering problems through innovative approaches.
• Provide guidance on system architecture and recommend solutions in alignment with systems engineering best practices.
• Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical system failures in high pressure situations to reduce Mean Time to Failure (MTTR)
• Engineer Operational Improvements to reduce operational efforts to Keep the Lights On.
• Troubleshoot unknown-unknown problems into known-known root causes using your holistic knowledge of systems to break the problem down and isolate the cause(s); then drive them to resolution
We're not looking for hands or button pressers -- we're looking for motivated individuals who want to scale security systems and change the way the business operates as a result. You need to be open to new challenges and willing to learn new technologies. In addition to using internal Amazon tooling, we are huge advocates for using public AWS services to build our platform, You should always be thinking, "how could this work without me involved" and then working to build those tools to achieve it.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
For further inquiries about this role, please contact Dan Hunt at email@example.com
• Bachelor's degree in engineering or computer science, or equivalent work experience.
• 10+ years of Linux system administration and engineering experience in a large-scale, mission-critical system, mechanizing Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OA&M) with Bash and Python
• Deep understanding networking (TCP, UDP, DNS, etc) and network troubleshooting of systems
• 7 or more years of experience within a DevOps team, using Code and Configuration management tools and CI/CD practices, processes, and strategies
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above
• Deep understanding of architecting systems within AWS. Bonus points if you've got one of the AWS certifications, like Solutions Architect - Associate or SysOps Administrator - Associate or Developer - Associate.
• Basic understanding of security concepts, including encryption and application security best practices.
• An interest in learning more about security operations and incident response.
• A sense of humor! We work hard to raise the security bar for our customers, but we also know how to laugh.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.