Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for an experienced and motivated Language Engineer with strong linguistic background and technical skills to help us develop language components for a variety of the AWS products. The successful candidate will have strong knowledge of linguistics as well as natural language processing experience or background in computational linguistics.
The AI Data Team at AWS is responsible for delivering high quality training data to ensure the best performance of the AWS machine translation and machine learning systems. Our goal is to produce the highest quality training data in the industry and to delight our customers by improving human language understanding and natural language processing.
In this role you will:
• Manage and process large amounts of linguistic data.
• Design quality control metrics and methodology.
• Collaborate with other Language Engineers and Applied Scientists in defining metrics, guidelines, and workflows.
• Use existing language processing tools to bootstrap and process data.
• Develop scripts and tools to crawl and process data.
• Oversee the quality of translation, post-editing, and linguistic annotation.
• Advocate strict adherence to annotation guidelines.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Master's degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, or a related field.
• Five years' experience in the field.
• Experience with one (or more) functional programming languages such as Python, Perl, C++.
• Background in NLP/NLU/Machine Translation.
• Native or near-native fluency in Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Japanese, Korean or other languages.
• Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup.
• Excellent communication, strong organizational skills with a keen eye for detail.
• Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative and dynamic work environment.
• Willingness to support several projects at a time and to accept reprioritization as necessary.
• PhD in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, or a relevant field.
• Practical knowledge of version control systems such as GitHub.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us