Knowledge Engineering Manager
- Sunnyvale, CA
At the intersection of AI and natural language understanding, voice-assistant technology is one of the most exciting industries to work in today. Creating advanced personal assistants means understanding how to address the many ways a user can ask a single question and appropriately inferring intent. Deploying this technology worldwide only adds to these challenges.
That's where you come in. We are looking for a manager to run the America's knowledge team. Your role will be multi-faceted, including technical product management, people management, and designing customer experiences. You'll run a team of multi-lingual Knowledge Engineers, tasked with expanding Alexa's question and answering capabilities to countries and languages in America's locales, including Canada, Mexico and Brazil. Your team will use Alexa's proprietary technology to ingest structured data into our Knowledge Graph and develop new QnA features across multiple languages, with the goal of answering more questions for Alexa users.
Most importantly, we're looking for a great leader. You have experience launching impactful products, and building a productive team culture that delivers results. You'll lead team members performing both technical (e.g. ontology creation, ETL pipeline) and non-technical functions (CX design) tasks, driving your team to make Alexa the most intelligent virtual assistant in the world. Your team will be comprised of smart, diverse Knowledge Engineers from all over the world, speaking many different languages, all working together to scalably improve Alexa's capabilities across multiple languages.
In this role, you will:
• Lead the day-to-day activities of your distributed team within an Agile/Scrum environment
• Define a multi-quarter knowledge engineering roadmap to improve Alexa's Q&A capabilities, using data to prioritize work to maximize impact towards your goals
• Hire, manage, coach, and develop a team of high performing Knowledge Engineers to execute on your roadmap
• Innovate on behalf of Alexa customers, identifying new ways to delight Alexa customers
• Set team-level goals, define KPIs to track goals, and report/discuss goal progress regularly with senior leaders
• Partner with software engineers, product managers, and business leaders to enhance Alexa's key functions worldwide
Your team of knowledge engineers are responsible for:
• Expanding and maintaining the system's ability to translate questions and answers between natural language and the system's internal representation
• Representing real-world objects and concepts in ways that both computers and people can understand
• Maintaining the quality of the knowledge already in the system
• Expanding the capabilities of the platform to infer new knowledge
• Working with teams of developers, machine learning scientists and other knowledge engineers to enhance the existing technology and invent new techniques
• Building engaging knowledge experiences using proprietary Amazon tools and frameworks
• Work with Product Managers to drive experimentation
• Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field of study (e.g. engineering, computer science, math) or equivalent professional or military experience
• 2+ year of experience leading multi-person projects to delivery
• 1+ year of experience in people management
• 3+ year of experience in people management
• Demonstrated success in hiring and developing top talent
• Track record of delivering the right features by leading a team through prioritization, scoping, development, and launch
• Ability to solve complex problems with analytical thinking and prioritization of solutions
• In-depth understanding of data analysis, data storage, data/knowledge organization
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience defining KPIs/goals and measuring/reporting on them through the lifecycles of a feature or product
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated experience engaging and influencing senior executives
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//.
Back to top