- Seattle, WA
This role is based in a corporate office in Barcelona, Spain.
Amazon is looking for an Infrastructure Operations Manager II to lead a team of highly skilled Engineers. This team is the escalation point of contact for all critical IT related issues in Amazon Fulfillment Centers and Amazon Logistics sites globally. The team is responsible for providing critical support for the Amazon IT infrastructure and other specialized technical services. The support provided by this team will have global reach and support tens of thousands of Amazon Associates.
As an Infrastructure Operations Manager II you will be responsible for leading a team of 10-15 Engineers. In addition, you will be responsible for end-to-end problem management for our IT infrastructure to include coordinating with other engineering and support organizations, and vendors to drive solutions. At Amazon, we ask our technical managers to be strong engineers who can dive deep and get involved in addition to being strong managers.
As a Sr manager you will be expected to drive operational excellence in everything we do. This includes creating processes, procedures, and automation to improve efficiency in our day-to-day tasks and projects. You will work closely on supporting our internal customers and ensuring that their needs and issues are being addressed.
You will be expected to drive quality into the metrics we report to assist us in focusing on the areas that give us the best ROI. This includes measurement of our resolution rates, project plans, and response times.
Performance Management/Team Health
You will own all facets of performance and career management for the team. Regular one-on-one meetings with all team members are required. You will be expected to provide both technical and 'soft skill' mentoring in order to maintain a well-rounded, world-class organization. This includes project management, quality audits, and coordination of training sessions with senior-level engineers as well as day-to-day oversight of the team including scheduling.
You will be integral to developing and improving incident and change management within the Networking space. Responsibilities include driving initiatives regarding improvements to existing tools & processes and providing feedback on new practices & procedures in order to scale with the rapid expansion of the Amazon platform and customer base.
Recruiting and Hiring
You will take the lead in hiring quality personnel who not only fit the needs of the current organization but also will allow the team to scale with platform and service growth. You will coordinate with Amazon and external recruiting staff to evaluate potential candidates, participate in initial phone screens and provide relevant guidance and feedback during on-site interview loops. You will also be responsible for ensuring that proper training takes place for all new hires.
This is an amazing opportunity in terms of responsibility, interesting challenges and high visibility. We truly are looking for the highest quality candidates, so you should expect a rigorous interview process.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, or Mathematics
• 10+ years managing technical teams.
• 7+ years of relevant hands-on systems engineering experience supporting enterprise level infrastructure in systems, networking, storage systems, and Windows Operating System.
• 5+ years of experience as engineering leader for a leading edge IT organization.
• Experience driving and presenting root cause analysis and error correction from operational events to senior management.
• Experience representing your team/technical area to customers, peers, and senior leadership.
• Masters Degree in Computer Science or a related field
• Demonstrated success building and leading teams
• Strong performance engineering, capacity planning, and forecasting background
• Strong systems engineering fundamentals (networking, storage, operating systems)
• Leading development life cycle processes and best practices, esp. in the areas of automation and monitoring
• Developing, mentoring, and training systems engineers
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization, including Engineering, Program Management, Operations, and Senior Leadership.
• Ability to work well under pressure with minimal supervision and keep up with a fast moving environment via effective prioritization and time management.
• CCNA/CCNP/MCSE certifications a plus.
Back to top