Head, Public Policy, Singapore & South East Asia
- Arlington, VA
We are seeking an experienced public policy practitioner to serve as Head of Public Policy for Singapore and wider Southeast Asia, in support of our growing business in Singapore and the region.
The Head of Public Policy, Singapore & South East Asia is a highly visible position that will create, execute, and manage key public policy issues. Working with local and international Amazon leadership, the Head of Public Policy will develop and represent Amazon's public policy positions, interacting with government officials and wider policy stakeholders.
The position is based in Singapore.
Focus and Deliverables
• Represent and advocate the company's policy positions on issues affecting our business and customers in Singapore and throughout the wider Southeast Asia region.
• Lead Amazon's engagement with national-level governments in Southeast Asia.
• Assess and communicate potential regulatory opportunities and challenges, develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and policy positions, and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with Amazon's business objectives.
• Facilitate high-level meetings between Amazon executives and key stakeholders, including senior government officials, regulators, and industry association and alliance partners, to promote and advocate the company's public policy priorities.
• Collaborate with Amazon's business leaders, along with legal, tax, HR, finance, public relations, and other business partners to identify and address policy matters impacting Amazon's business
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent business judgment
• Has relentlessly high standards
• Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
• Thinks big
• Is action and results oriented
• Is highly analytical and structured
• Self-motivated but also a strong team player
• At least 10 years of public policy experience with a keen working understanding of federal, state, and local politics in the region, as well as legislative and regulatory policy processes
• Strong advocacy skills and first class oral and written English-language communications are essential.
• Candidates will be able to demonstrate their experience through previous work within companies, consultancies, trade associations, the government, or equivalent organizations.
• An ability to travel as needed
• Bachelor's degree in relevant subject area. Higher degree desirable but not essential.
• Significant experience in managing policy issues associated with the digitization of the economy.
• A strong policy network in Singapore, with a demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate and political levels.
• An extensive understanding of the Southeast Asian political processes and climate with an informed global perspective combined with sound and practical business judgment and common sense.
• An ability to anticipate emerging issues of importance to the company, communicating their impact to senior management, and developing a strategy to address them effectively.
• Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to Amazon's business and persuasively communicate complex concepts and issues to external stakeholders.
• A track record of effectively leveraging resources including internal teams, coalitions, external consultants, associations, and other relevant organizations.
• Demonstrated track record of success in managing a team to drive public policy outcomes.
• A track record of effectively solving complex issues and delivering strong results while maintaining the highest standards.
• The ability to manage a large number and variety of mission-critical projects, working independently and often in ambiguous environments.
• Highly effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Additional regional languages highly desirable.
Back to top