Head of Science, TVOD
- New York, NY
Prime Video is shaping the future of digital video entertainment. Our vision is to provide the most comprehensive global video service that customers choose first and spend the most time engaged with. Our SVOD service provides a broad selection of shows, movies and live sports included with customers' subscription to Amazon Prime. With TVOD (Rent or Buy) and Channels (subscribe to premium channels such as HBO or Starz), we augment our proposition by giving customers immediate access to the broadest selection of video content available anywhere, and we drive monetization opportunities for our business.
We are looking for a Director of of Data Science to lead the design and implementation of commercial optimization tools for our TVOD and Channels businesses. In this role, you will work with the TVOD and Channels business owners to define the TVOD and Channels strategy commercial science, including pricing, personalized promotions, and bundles, among others. You will work with a team of economists and machine learning scientists to design our commercial optimization algorithms, and you will own a technology team that will productize and maintain the associated solutions. For example, you will analyze and design systems that will adjust our TVOD movie and show pricing depending on demand trends; you will design and set-up a personalized promotions program that will deliver customer credits to customers; you will create channel bundles that will simplify choice for our customers, provide value, and an alternative to costly cable subscriptions. These are only a few examples of commercial innovation that you will invent and own.
You will lead a team of economists, machine learning scientists, software development engineers, and technical program managers. You will own your products end-to-end, while working with a range of strategic functions within the Prime Video organization, including our TVOD and Channels business owners, our Commerce platform technology team, cross-Amazon owned and operated media leaders (e.g., Amazon Marketing, Amazon Prime, Fire TV), as well as Finance and HR.
You come with a start-up mentality and skills that span research science, software engineering, program management and strategic vision, and you have a passion for video and for data-driven optimization of marketing levers. You will leverage your broad experience, directly hiring, developing and leading your team, and you will influence across functions and layers in the organization, frequently leading science, software and high judgment discussions with the most senior business and technical leaders in Amazon Prime Video.
• Define and execute a comprehensive commercial innovation strategy for our TVOD and Channels businesses, in partnership with business owners, to attract, engage and retain customers in those areas and drive trial, hours, monetization and profit;
• Leverage knowledge and expertise in statistics and data science to design innovative commercial algorithmic models;
• Test, deliver, scale and maintain productized solutions that will drive our commercial strategy at a title and customer level across TVOD and Channels, setting high standards for end-customer and developer experience and technical operating excellence;
• Drive inputs, outputs, and dependencies across a broad organization of internal teams, to deliver on science and product development goals;
• Prepare and give periodic business and technical reviews to senior management;
• Build a world class team that includes science and software engineering talent;
• Recruit and mentor a team of high-functioning leaders;
• Be a thought leader across the global Prime Video organization.
• Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or Statistics.
• More than 10 years of experience leading data science, machine learning or advanced analytics teams.
• Experience using modeling and optimization techniques, tailored to meet business needs and productized for business use.
• Experience delivering products and services in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, working cross-functionally with some combination of marketing, design, buying, engineering, and/or project management counterparts to deliver products/services.
• Experience hiring and leading high performing science and analytics teams.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with internal and external partners.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate complex data and systems concepts in simple terms to a broad range of partners
Back to top