Head of Safety, Amazon Robotics
- North Reading, MA
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you'll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers' experiences in ways we can't even imagine yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.
The Manager of Safety Engineering will be responsible for the development, implementation and auditing of all safety standards, protocols, and programs associated with safely deploying, maintaining and decommissioning Amazon Robotics equipment used within our fulfillment centers. The Manager of Safety Engineering (and his or her team) will develop and manage programs with various stakeholders within and outside of Amazon Robotics aimed at ensuring the safety of all persons who interact with our products and systems. The Safety Engineering Manager will serve in a leadership role, and will be the primary point of contact at Amazon Robotics regarding safety-related matters in the field for the Amazon corporate safety team, end user fulfillment center personnel, and third party service providers.
• Lead a team of four safety engineers, providing direction and oversight of each team member's day-to-day responsibilities; provide coaching and mentorship to help them develop and advance their careers.
• Develop safety-related procedures, training content, and programs for internal stakeholders, end user customers, and third party service providers in accordance with both regulatory requirements and best industry practices.
• Partner with the Engineering and Regulatory Departments to achieve safe equipment design (e.g., fire protection, movement control), and with various internal business units, as well as with third party service providers and end-user customers, to ensure the safe deployment, maintenance and use of equipment.
• Design, develop and implement field escalation protocols and communication plans related to safety events and regularly audit the effectiveness of such measures through formal and informal evaluations.
• Working with other groups within the organization, investigate any safety-related incidents to determine cause(s) and preventive measure(s).
• Serve as the point person for Amazon Robotics, and lead cross-functional teams to manage and respond to any safety-related incidents from the time of incident through driving to complete corrective action/resolution. Manage this process at all levels of the company, including providing regular reports to the senior leadership team.
• Develop and implement a program to ensure traceable adherence to safety program goals and guidelines.
• Partnering with others within the organization, perform safety risk assessments, regulatory compliance reviews and ergonomic reviews on equipment and operations processes.
• Make design recommendations related to the onsite maintenance zone and audit such workspace to ensure safety of maintenance personnel working on Amazon Robotics equipment (e.g., ergonomics, proper tools, etc.).
• Work closely with and coordinate with other teams focused on safety, both within Amazon Robotics as well as at Amazon corporate headquarters, and locally within each of the fulfillment centers.
• Accurately report metrics on a regular cadence to leadership team.
• Willing to travel, up to approximately 30% (and more frequently on an as-needed basis).
• 7-10 years' experience in safety engineering.
• Bachelor's degree in safety, engineering or a related field.
• Expertise in safety standards (e.g., electrical, mechanical, high power) and best practices, as well as excellent safety program management skills.
• Experience developing and implementing structured investigative processes.
• Experience identifying and implementing process improvements in an operations environment.
• Experience working closely with cross functional, diverse teams.
• Knowledge of NFPA, CE directives and OSHA regulations.
• Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including comfort with interacting at all levels of an organization.
• Proven track record for getting things done
• Experience in a fast paced, growing organization.
• Certified Safety Professional preferred, but not required.
• Industrial, electrical or high-power products experience preferred.
• Experience working with mission-critical applications strongly preferred.
Back to top