Head of Consumer Communications, Japan
Amazon Japan is seeking an experienced strategic, creative and analytical Public Relations professional with a proven track record of developing effective communications programs for large, fast-moving, global organizations. The Head of Consumer Communications for Japan will create awareness across our key audiences, develop and implement content, channels and processes for local and international programs for Amazon's core Retail Business, including physical goods, as well as Amazon Prime and other membership programs. This role manages a team that collaborates closely with business, product and PR leaders to launch and provide on-going strategic communications support for key services and initiatives.
The successful candidate should have leadership experience and have demonstrated expertise in media relations, social media and influencer relations, as well as an entrepreneurial and goal-oriented approach. He/she should be a strategic thinker and enjoy working in a fast-paced, start-up culture, and, when the job requires, roll up their sleeves and get the job done independently with the same obsessive attention to quality and detail expected of their team.
Key Responsibilities include;
• Oversee and manage Consumer PR including all strategic PR plans for core retail areas covering retail strategy, consumer campaigns, news generation and product placement including categories such as: Consumables (food, health and beauty), Life & Leisure, Private Brands, Fashion and B-to-B Businesses
• Manage our key retail events building cross category campaigns
• Support strategic launches around shopping innovations
• Support membership programs with strong focus on Amazon Prime
• Successfully manage complex, fast-moving and unexpected communications challenges and manage issues / media inquiries related to Retail business
• Act as a business partner to Amazon retail category leadership teams across key areas, collaborating with internal stakeholder teams to drive successful program launches
• Deliver strategic communications counsel to internal executives on both short and long term challenges and opportunities
• Write strategic plans, messaging and press releases; pitch and secure top media, including print, broadcast and online outlets
• Build excellent relationships with key media
• Effectively represent Amazon as spokesperson
Required Competencies Include;
• 10+ years' work experience developing/implementing and evaluating brand PR strategies.
• Excellent written and spoken English and Japanese language skills.
• Knowledge and understanding of both Japanese and Western business cultures and ability to provide counsel regarding each.
• Extensive experience of managing cross channel campaigns with strong media contacts and social elements in consumer arenas.
• Hands-on experience of digital and social media as well as influencer marketing / communication.
• Issues management experience including development of messaging and Q&A documents.
• Strong understanding of measuring the impacts and benefits of PR programs.
• Experience with crisis management and planning
• Experience in managing agencies and budgets
• University degree
• Consumer PR expert with a demonstrated insight for what works for a brand and a strong contact book
• Strategic and creative - ensures that PR activity delivers against business objectives and articulates key messages while being inspiring and thinking big
• Tactically aware - knowledgeable about what's going on in the media, social media and on the site and combine those areas for maximum PR benefit
• Proactive in the extreme - enjoys taking responsibility and making things happen
• Organized - able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously while managing essential admin work
• Experienced as a people management to develop the best among the PR and communications field
• Acts as a leader - able to inspire agencies to deliver and demonstrate responsibility for PR to senior managers
• Adaptable - able to work in a corporate environment
• Collaborative team player with a willingness to work hard and roll up sleeves to get work done, even if outside the job's scope.
• Strong bias for action and high standards
• Experience gained within high-profile, customer facing organizations and consumer brands, particularly within the retail / e-commerce industries.
• A mix of agency and in-house experience is preferred. - A network of media and social media contacts and a desire to work with the media proactively/Successfully managed complex, fast-moving and unexpected communications challenges and able to deal with ambiguity.