Hardware Systems Engineer, Robotics
Amazon's Worldwide Operations org is starting a new autonomous robot program. This new program requires solving hard problems and inventing for almost every aspect of this wide-open effort. We're looking for individuals who like dealing with ambiguity, solving hard, large scale problems, and working in a startup like environment.
Responsible for advanced concepts and technology development relating to autonomous systems, specifically driving the focus areas of system integration, planning and coordination. As part of product development, you will design and implement new technologies and features into next generation Amazon robotic products consistent with the identified business needs.
Define the vision, technical requirements, and/or user experience for this robotic program. Drive development, integration and testing of autonomous sensing, perception, planning and control technologies relating to unmanned systems. Work with a cross-disciplinary team of designers, hardware engineers, researchers, and software engineers in order to rapidly prototype robotics interaction concepts. These robotic platforms may encompass multiple robots as well as a surrounding ecosystem of hardware accessories. Lead system integration for the different components as well as drive the technical areas of planning and coordination during the prototype stage and manage transitions from prototype to production.
- Provide guidance and management to direct applied research towards achieving proof-of-concept prototypes and demonstration of viability.
- Interface with business leaders and provide direction and guidance for technology road maps and presenting technical results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead system-level definition, development, implementation, integration, and launch of complex multi-disciplinary robotic platform to address the problem for Amazon and meet the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Collaborate with users and other stakeholders to formalize their needs and maintain formal systems for translating and maintaining the corresponding requirements.
- Lead system architecture by managing requirements and partitioning of systems. Partition systems into subsystems. Formally translate and manage requirements and functionality among subsystems.
- Manage the integration and verification of subsystems in accordance with program requirements and design. Own the validation of the system against customer requirements.
- Develop key strategic industrial relationships with potential partners, vendors, and licensees and lead the market outreach that generates feedback to guide the technology development.
- Proactively determine and manage other sources of systems requirements (e.g. regulatory standards, risk management processes, relevant industry standards, and business requirements) throughout the system lifecycle, engaging subsystem teams as needed.
- Define and manage the technical interfaces between robotic platforms components for current and future development.
- Manage and raise critical issues to resolve conflicts and minimize impact to program (cost, time, financial performance).
- Specify, develop and build electro-mechanical robotic prototypes.
- Perform deterministic and stochastic analysis and modeling at the system and component level.
- BS/MS in EE, CS, AI or related field, with demonstrated experience in Robotics or Unmanned Vehicles or Mission Systems development.
- Established background in Autonomy, Robotics or Unmanned Systems with technology focus in Mechatronics and Sensor Evaluation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- 3-5 years hands-on experience with advanced robotics systems..
- Significant experience related to systems architecture, design, and system integration of mechatronic devices.
- Possess superior problem solving skills, and independent decision making abilities, all while operating in an extremely demanding, fast-paced team setting.
- Experience in C/C++ programming.
- Built and deployed robots to production environments
- Experience with the ROS software package.
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms and approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to develop deep understanding of the business and end user needs quickly, and can proficiently translate those needs into the right technology solution.
- Experience in Solid Modeling and FEA.
- Familiar with using and the capabilities of rapid prototyping equipment (CNC, 3D printing, waterjet, laser cutter,…).
- Significant experience with the hardware product development process.
- Demonstrated small/large team leadership and interpersonal skills.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top