A part of Amazon's Robotics Artificial Intelligence Organization, Canvas Technology is using spatial AI to provide end-to-end autonomous delivery of goods. By using state-of-the-art cameras and other sensors, the system perceives its surroundings with unrivaled vision and fidelity. The system combines a mix of high-performance sensors with simultaneous localization and mapping software that builds and continuously updates maps in real-time, completely automatically. It has the capability to 'see' and identify different objects, people, vehicles, and places as it moves and react to moving people and vehicles in an intelligent way.
The Canvas team is seeking a Hardware Engineering Manager to lead our multi-disciplinary hardware engineering team in the Canvas autonomous mobile robotics team, which includes electrical, mechanical, firmware, and test engineers to develop mobile robots from concept to production and global scale. This leader will shape the structure and processes of the hardware team to deliver both rapid prototypes and production-ready units. They will collaborate closely with product management, software engineering, research science, field operations, supply chain, and safety specialties. They will execute on the existing product strategy and provide data-driven insights to own the autonomous mobile robot vision and product roadmaps. They must be able to systematically consider and clearly communicate tradeoffs between costs, resources, risks, and timelines to product teams and senior leadership.
• Bachelor's degree in mechanical or electrical engineering, or a closely-related field.
• 7+ years of hands-on experience as a hardware engineer developing complex products
• 5+ years of experience as a technical manager
• Experience with managing cross-functional organizations and external design partners
• Experience with product definition, project scheduling, financial metrics, and customer-facing products.
• Experience with rigorous development processes, including design reviews, failure mode analysis, and staged product qualification
• Clear written and verbal communication skills
• Master's or higher degree in a robotics-related field such as electronics, control theory, mechatronics, or real-time systems
• Delivery of at least two products throughout the full lifecycle, from concept through manufacturing[SM1]
• Experience with rigorously regulated products such as medical, aerospace, or industrial machinery.
• Experience with autonomous mobile robot solutions
• Experience with products that have a significant firmware investment
• Demonstrated experience in delivering innovative and experimental products
• Experience with scoping, managing, and delivering multiple technical projects in parallel
• Expertise in PCB design including schematic capture and circuit board layout.
• Expertise in DFx (Design for cost, test, manufacturing, reliability)
• Hands-on experience with Agile development methodologies
The pay range for this position in Colorado is $122,200 - $160,000/yr. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. For more information regarding Amazon benefits, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/benefits. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us