Global Waste & Circular Economy Program Manager
- Seattle, WA
Amazon is looking for a talented and motivated Global Waste & Circular Economy Program Manager to support Amazon Web Services (AWS), a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. AWS is at the forefront of the cloud computing and service industry, providing IT infrastructure services such as on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, database services, browsers and more. AWS is committed to running our business in the most environmentally friendly way possible, and our scale allows us to achieve higher resource utilization and energy efficiency than the typical on-premises data center. In 2019 Amazon announced The Climate Pledge, which includes our commitment to power our operations with 100% renewable energy by 2025, on the path to achieving net zero carbon across our businesses by 2040. To learn more about AWS, visit https://aws.amazon.com and https://sustainability.aboutamazon.com/environment/the-cloud.
The successful candidate will join the AWS Environmental team, an expanding and dynamic team that is critical to enabling AWS's growth around the world, as well as ensuring compliance of AWS's global operations, including physical data centers, as well as other AWS facilities, customer-facing enterprises and products. The Environmental team has responsibility for building and implementing AWS's global environmental and safety programs.
We are searching for a Global Waste & Circular Economy Program Manager to partner with internal teams to develop and enable sustainable waste management solutions and equipment end-of-life management planning, and to ensure our programs comply with applicable regulations and requirements and meet AWS circular economy objectives. The successful candidate will have a results-oriented approach, strong analytical skill set, and proven ability to lead complex projects across multiple teams. You will be expected to represent the AWS Environmental team internally as well as to external groups, including vendors, customers, and policy makers. You will be responsible for developing, implementing and standardizing our waste programs globally as well as developing metrics and reporting progress to internal stakeholders. The optimal candidate is a high-judgment, waste management subject matter expert with a proven track record of success building and improving global end-of-life systems. This individual will focus on implementing programs that ensure we meet our regulatory and sustainability obligations globally while also driving continuous improvements in our end-of-life management program.
• Develop, integrate and execute strategies, programs, processes and actions throughout the organization to facilitate regulatory compliance and sustainable waste practices.
• Set, implement, and audit waste sustainability goals; oversee waste vendor reporting; and enhance internal reuse opportunities across AWS.
• Monitor business performance against applicable environmental regulations, programs and standards, and sustainability and circular economy objectives.
• Ensure adequate assessment, prevention, control, and management of waste as well as waste-related risks arising from operations, vendors, suppliers, and products.
• Leverage understanding of global waste and recycling programs and regulatory requirements to support teams including Operations, EHS, Legal, Sustainability and other internal stakeholders.
• Develop and implement standardized technological and program solutions to make compliance easier while also reducing impact through waste elimination and reuse practices.
• Candidates should have an undergraduate degree in science, engineering, or a related field.
• 8+ years of experience serving as a waste technical resource, manager, program specialist, or program manager.
• Broad knowledge of waste and e-waste regulations and related international treaties, global programs and standards, including sustainability and circular economy objectives.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including experience interfacing with senior leaders inside and outside the company.
• Degree in business, engineering, or environmental management.
• Global e-waste and life cycle planning and management experience.
• Experience in a fast paced, changing/growing organization.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills.
• Experience implementing lean principles and process improvement in an operational environment.
• Excellent communication skills, strong relationship builder, solid influencing and negotiation skills, and the ability to coach at multiple levels.
• Ability to distill complex and ambiguous subjects into clear action plans.
• Experience partnering with worldwide teams to develop and implement programs and continual improvement projects.
• Experience leading change across multiple sites/locations and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports or within your organization.
• Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability.
• Willing to travel up to 25%.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top