Amazon Web Services (AWS) is innovating new ways of building massively scalable distributed systems and delivering the next generation of cloud services that support commercial and public sector customers around the world. We hold high standards for our computer systems and the services we deliver to our customers: our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, all while functioning at massive scale. Our employees are smart, passionate about the cloud, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with.
The AWS Region Build Team orchestrates the delivery of large, fast-paced software and hardware projects into AWS regions around the world to meet the growing demand for AWS services. Managing these complex regions and the continuous service launch cycle requires exceptionally talented, focused, and driven people to align timelines with business needs, identify technical and resourcing risks, resolve multi-faceted conflicts, and to evolve best practices and operations. We are seeking an experienced manager to lead and drive a team of Technical Program Managers (TPMs) that will deliver AWS capabilities to our unique global customers. You must be passionate about delivering services to customers while also possessing a strategic understanding of business objectives. A strong technical background is required to identify risks early in the launch cycle and to work closely with engineering to drive implementation. Most importantly, you must be a leader. In this role, you will be at the forefront of cloud technologies with interactions across the full breadth of AWS services, and must be creative and forward leaning in developing solutions.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced manager with expertise managing software development projects. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, be a self-starter, and will be a creative problem solver. The candidate will be familiar with AWS services, have strong process improvement aptitude, and be willing to roll their sleeves up to dig on any project or problem. The candidate will have high standards for themselves and everyone they work with, and will be constantly looking for ways to improve build performance, quality and cost.
Why it matters: AWS customers are extremely diverse, the AWS Region is the foundation for offering services to our customers. Expanding customer use cases, new geographies, and the rapid adoption of cloud computing makes new region builds critical for AWS to keep addressing customer needs.
Why you will love it: You will have exposure to teams and leaders across the entire company. You will see many aspects of the Amazon business. You will have a direct impact on AWS growth and delivering major new capabilities for our customers. You will have ownership and responsibility for defining and executing processes that deliver both savings and productivity for AWS.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.]
We're dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
• 5+ years of management experience
• 7+ years of experience in technical leadership roles; technical program management, systems architecture, or system development.
• 7+ years of experience with software development life-cycle from conception to delivery.
• 7+ years of project management experience and demonstrated knowledge of program management best practices
• Prior experience in a hands-on software or system development role
• Direct experience managing both agile and waterfall programs; able to tailor programmatic processes to the needs of a project
• Prior experience working with AWS technologies/services
• Experienced in delivering products against plan in a fast-paced, multi-disciplined, distributed-responsibility and often ambiguous environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong technical and problem solving skills
• Confident leader who can prioritize and analyze tradeoffs, communicate clearly and compellingly and effectively influence internally and externally, across organization boundaries. Able to independently influence and resolve conflicts with others
• Inquisitive with technical and business skills to understand, test, and challenge while working harmoniously with the business and technology owners
• Drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities
• Experienced in gathering requirements and developing system specifications
• Ability to apply critical thinking in complex situations; experience working in cross functional groups including SW engineering, Networking, and infrastructure
• A strong track record of executing in dynamic and fast-paced environments. Highly experienced with data-driven decision making
• Cross-organizational communication comfortable evangelizing ideas and concerns clearly and persuasively, in both verbal and written forms
• Comfortable working on multiple programs at once
Have Questions, Wish to apply, have someone to refer?
contact Tracy Fifer directly: email@example.com
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.