At Amazon, our vision is to be Earth's most customer-centric company. Our passion for invention leads us to pioneer and globalize new businesses and customer offerings daily. As we rapidly become the world's largest consumer of corporate services in many categories, the Global Corporate Procurement team is seeking a Global Category Manager to join our team in HR Services, Global Travel, and Finance Operations categories.
Global Category Managers play a pivotal role at Amazon, leading strategic sourcing engagements across a wide range of business units to enable new initiatives to launch and scale rapidly. GCMs are expert practitioners in creating competitive environments, and have a strong bias for decision-making rooted in data and analytics. They routinely influence C-level supplier relationships and advise senior Amazon leaders on innovative sourcing strategies that create sustainable, long-term partnerships. They are highly effective communicators, able to articulate the value proposition of partnering with procurement.
Spend categories under management for this role include: HR Services, Temporary Labor, Corporate Travel and Finance Services, however we often source items beyond the aforementioned.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a team that is having a daily impact on company success.
Primary responsibilities of this role:
• Establishing strong relationships with internal business partners; building a robust understanding of strategic business direction, requirements and priorities across assigned suppliers and/or spend categories.
• Developing global sourcing strategies to deliver against business objectives for internal clients.
• Evaluating supplier core competencies and competitive positioning using industry cost models and benchmarking analysis; leveraging key-insights to inform and support the category strategy development process.
• Managing the fundamentals of sourcing and supplier engagement activities including RFx, spend pattern analysis, contract analysis, bid evaluation, negotiations, and supplier consolidation.
• Working with business and finance leaders to identify and drive savings and controllership improvements, focusing on total cost of ownership.
• Providing guidance to internal stakeholders on procurement strategies; maintaining procurement ethics in accordance with Amazon's global policies.
• Preparing and holding business reviews with stakeholders to review vendor performance, future opportunities, and/or challenges.
• 7+ years of relevant strategic sourcing experience, to include at minimum, 5 years in an indirect procurement function, at a multinational corporation, with global contracts.
• 7+ years of experience practicing best-in-class procurement processes (category management, benchmarking, should-cost models, RFX, reverse auction, contracting, etc.).
• 5+ years of experience with spend categories under management to include one or more of the following HR, Travel & Expense, Labor, Professional Services.
• Tenacious negotiator with proven experience in setting negotiation strategies and conducting negotiations.
• Strong project management skills, including adhering to stakeholder timelines, and meeting management skills.
• Expert understanding of, and deep experience with, multi-step strategic sourcing processes and category management strategies.
• Extensive knowledge of the basic types of commercial agreement structures and the function and purpose of key legal terms.
• Experienced at assessing risk and concisely explaining complex issues to principal business owners.
• Extremely customer-focused, taking the time to understand the needs of the business.
• Experience working in a large, global, highly matrixed organization, and works easily in multi-business unit project settings; able to facilitate teamwork across corporate boundaries.
• Strong analytical and financial skills including the ability to quickly synthesize, distill and draw conclusions on large amounts of disparate data.
• Proven written and oral communicator, with strategic, analytical, and interpersonal skills to act as an effective change agent, unlocking barriers to value for priority spend categories.
• Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects requiring frequent communication, organization, time management, and problem-solving skills.
• Passionate self-starter with the highest integrity and ethics.
• Embraces factbased decision making; naturally seeks to leverage and/or integrate market data, spend analytics, and cost modeling.
• Master's Degree (MBA/MS) preferred.