General Supervisor (2B)
- Palo Alto, CA
Amazon is focused on protecting the health and safety of our employees while continuing to serve people who need our services more than ever. Regular testing on a global scale across all industries would both help keep people safe and help get the economy back up and running. But, for this to work, we as a society would need vastly more testing capacity than is currently available. Unfortunately, today we live in a world of scarcity where COVID-19 testing is heavily rationed. Until we have an effective vaccine available in billions of doses, high-volume testing capacity would be of great help, but getting that done will take collective action by NGOs, companies, and governments.
For our part, Amazon has begun the work of building incremental testing capacity.
• Provide day-to-day supervision of testing personnel and reporting of test results in a high complexity CLIA-certified laboratory
• Assume primary responsibility for the proper performance of all laboratory procedures and reporting of test results, in the absence of the Director
• Consistently exercise discretion and independent judgment in providing day-to-day supervision of high complexity test performance by qualified testing personnel
• Directly supervise testing personnel, including providing guidance, direction, and oversight of testing activities, and assessing the competency of testing personnel
• Be accessible to test personnel at all times via on-site, telephone, or electronic support
• Be onsite to provide direct supervision when high complexity testing is performed by any qualified testing personnel
• Monitor test analyses and specimen examinations to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained
• Ensure that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning
• Evaluate and document the performance of all testing personnel, including medical lab technicians
• Coordinate laboratory activities to complement the duties and responsibilities of the Laboratory Director
• Maintain and oversee proficiency testing (PT) program, report results
• Work cooperatively in a team environment supporting senior laboratory and management staff
• Ensure operational compliance with the clinical laboratory's Quality Management Systems (QMS) Program and delivery of routine QMS associated metrics
• Monitor key financial, quality, and efficiency indicators and recognizes opportunities for improvement
• Work an 8 hour, on-site shift in a 24/7 clinic, which may include weekdays, evenings, and weekends
• Bachelor's degree in chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science or medical technology or an Associate's degree with 7+ years of equivalent professional or military experience.
• 2+ years of experience as a Medical Technologist or equivalent in a clinical laboratory environment
• American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification
• Knowledge of biology, microbiology and immunology at a level required in medical technology
• Knowledge and practice of standard precautions policies related to handling of potentially infectious agents
• Knowledge of safety procedures relating to operation of laboratory equipment and handling of chemicals
• Experience analyzing and interpreting test procedures and results in order to determine appropriate correction action for abnormal or atypical results
• Laboratory instrumentation and auto sampling equipment experience
• Comfortable utilizing computers and software
• Knowledge of Real Time PCR (polymerase chain reaction) and LDT (laboratory developed test)
• 5+ previous experience in clinical laboratory setting
• 5+ years of current working experience as a CLS
• Strong verbal/written communication and listening skills
• Excellent interpersonal and telephone communication skills
• American Medical Technologist (AMT) or research experience
Note: This position requires sustained work in a laboratory that will be receiving biological specimens that may include viruses for infectious diseases, including the COVID-19 virus (which is known to cause the coronavirus disease). Accordingly, this role involves the risk of infection. Amazon has implemented appropriate safety policies, training, processes, and equipment as per applicable guidelines.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top