- Boston, MA
Front-End Engineer, Amazon Lists
Ever wondered what's involved in owing a key feature on Amazon's websites across the globe that is actively used by hundreds of millions of customers? Does the opportunity of building and supporting the scale of business at Amazon fascinate you? If you answered yes, the Amazon Lists team is looking for engineers like you!
Customers think about shopping anywhere and anytime - while making breakfast, while driving home, at work, in the bus. They create lists for their personal use, to share with friends and family and to inspire other customers discover the millions of products Amazon has to offer. We strive to find new and contextually-relevant places to offer List functionality to continuously improve the shopping experience for our customers.
This Front-End Engineer position with Amazon Lists is a fit for someone who enjoys building stable, responsive, secure, accessible cross-platform customer experiences using appropriate design patterns and expertise in front-end engineering.
Successful candidates must also be innovative, flexible, self-directed, and able to design and write high-performance, reliable, maintainable code. This role requires the ability to creatively deal with ambiguity, be data-driven and juggle cross-organization complexity. If you enjoy working in a dynamic environment to deliver world class mission critical systems, this may be the career opportunity for you!
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
• 3+ years of overall software development experience, with an emphasis on front end engineering.
• Experience with modern web technologies and techniques such as HTML5, CSS3, CSS frameworks and CSS pre-processors.
• Experience with MVC frameworks, Spring MVC, AJAX interfaces with AJAX libraries and frameworks.
• Experience with responsive and mobile design, as well as cross-browser development and testing.
• Experience building rich data-driven web applications by consuming RESTful services and APIs.
• Track record delivering front-end software that is correct, stable, performant, secure and accessibility compliant.
• Able to solve difficult software and UX problems with some ambiguity.
• Proficient in a broad range of software design approaches and common UX patterns. Knows when (and when not) to use
• front-end software design patterns (e.g., asynchronicity, data binding, modules, objects, promises).
• Can articulate the risks and benefits of depending on front-end libraries, frameworks, and toolsets.
• Able to dive into the source code of front end libraries to debug, patch, and extend them when necessary.
• Proficient in view layout and rendering technologies (e.g., responsiveness, progressive enhancement, browser/device support).
• Understands how to optimize the delivery of code and assets (e.g., images, fonts) to a browser or device (e.g., lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc.).
• Understands how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., application impact on memory and CPU, caches appropriately, respectful of customer's devices, etc.).
• Knows how to instrument software with real user metrics to reflect the customer experience.
• Knowledge of engineering and operational excellence best practices.
• Experience with AWS web services.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top