We are the People eXperience Foundation (PXF) organization, responsible for building the web applications and distributed web services that support over 1 million Amazon employees every day by teaching and reinforcing our unique Day 1 culture. Powered by data, machine learning, and smart automation, we create the technical solutions that help Amazonians take action, guide them through processes, and enable them to self-serve, so that they spend less time in product and more time delivering for customers. We build the one-stop experience that Amazonians use daily to manage their employment, grow their career, manage their teams, and remain connected to life at Amazon. At PXF, we serve Amazonians through a human-centered design approach to technology innovations, with the goal of supporting Amazon's mission to be become Earth's best employer.
You will work as part of a sustainably-paced, agile team and will play a hands-on leadership role on your team - giving you the responsibility, authority, and ownership to ensure success. You will have a system-wide, architectural view of the solutions that you build. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business requirements, and technical design through to software development using the latest technologies and design patterns. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
In this role, you will work to create a modern, accessible, and inclusive design system that reaches every Amazonian across the globe. Your contributions will shape how applications look and feel as our team pushes the boundaries of what is possible on web and mobile. Our team empowers engineers to build applications that are fast, accessible, and inclusive.
Amazon is a place where builders can build. You will work with the latest technologies including Java micro-services in a distributed service-oriented architecture, AWS, NoSQL, React, and Typescript, to create delightful user experiences for our customers at a global scale. You will be responsible for our web technology stacks and front-end development lifecycle, demonstrating best practices in web application architecture and design, and ensuring high standards in usability, accessibility, and performance of our products.
This position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in our business by inventing, enhancing, and building world class systems while working on exciting and innovative projects.
Come join a team full of very capable people who come from all over the world. Enjoy the chance to work in a relaxed setting with a good social life. The team based in Edinburgh, Scotland is rapidly expanding. Successful candidates will have strong technical ability, a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
• Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or another technical degree or postgraduate study. In lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience.
• Able to demonstrate knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and strong problem solving skills.
• Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
• Understand view layout and rendering technologies (e.g., responsiveness, progressive enhancement, browser/device support). Know when it is appropriate to make graceful fallbacks.
• Understand the importance of testing front-end components and has experience with creating unit and integration tests related to the front-end components they develop.
• Experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS) desirable
• Able to demonstrate knowledge of front-end system design, interaction with backend APIs, and performance/security considerations.
• Able to solve difficult software and UX problems with some ambiguity. Pushes for information to avoid solving the wrong problem and mitigate UI risks early in the process to avoid feature delays. Can decompose a problem into clear software and UX design actions.
• Experience delivering front-end software that is accessibility compliant (WCAG 2.1 AA)
• Understand how to optimize the delivery of code and assets (e.g., images, fonts) to a browser or device (e.g., lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc.).
• Understand how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., application impact on memory and CPU, caches appropriately, respectful of customer's devices, etc.).
• Experience building and using with design systems
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify, and build.