Front End Engineer
- Berlin, Germany
The Amazon Customer Fulfillment team is looking for passionate individuals who love to design and build world-class internal customer-facing interfaces and back-end services that make them possible. You are a talented Senior Software Development Engineer who knows how to design and build services, know how to get things done, and done really well, you like making customers' lives better and want to be part of a team that builds "from scratch" a new technology platform for Customer Fulfillment.
It's still Day 1, and we're at the beginning of building out an entire suite of global solutions. You and a team of developers will work through all phases of the project life-cycle, including reviewing requirements, designing services that lay foundation for the new technology platform, build new interfaces and also integrate with existing architectures, developing and testing code, and delivering seamless implementations for our customers.
In this role you will be responsible for the team's technical architecture and end-to-end quality of the code in our software solutions. You will also be doing hands-on development of web and mobile applications and integration of other Amazon and third-party tools into seamless solutions for our customers. As a developer, you will own a portfolio of tools hosted on Unix, Windows and AWS infrastructure. You will enable the department to scale by designing applications and automation as well as handling day to day support requests. Additionally, you will encourage and enforce best practices across the team to provide the highly consistent and scalable development environment needed to meet the demands of this dynamic and growing organization. Successful candidates can juggle multiple priorities, quickly adapt to new environments, design new architectures, find creative solutions to difficult problems, and are highly focused on customer needs. functional and global teams.
Key Responsibilities in this role:
• Highly-motivated and thrive in an environment where problems are open-ended.
• Enjoy engaging in passionate discussions with smart people and letting the best ideas rise to the top.
• Work closely with senior engineers, UX designers and product managers to develop friendly UI experiences.
• Work closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical design.
• Develop/maintain operational rigor for the frontend of a fast-growing Amazon Search stack.
• Develop the engineers of an existing "two pizza" scrum team.
• Engage with customers and other partners.
• Help with hiring and mentoring.
• Take user-facing features from design to implementation, coding both the UI and backend functionality.
• Build reusable code and libraries for future use.
• Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs.
• Optimize applications for maximum speed and scalability.
• Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
• Experience with object-oriented design
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other related fields
• Proficiency in developing frontend software, with deep experience in one or more relevant frontend MVC/MVM frameworks (React, Angular etc.) and UI test automation frameworks (Carbon, Next)
• 3+ years of experience in multi-tier web architecture with knowledge of cross browser compatibility, browser tuning and optimization techniques/tools
• Experience with modern programming languages (Java, C#, Python) and open-source technologies.
• Strong Computer Science fundamentals (such as data structures, algorithms, architecture, OO design)
• Excellent technical design, problem solving and debugging skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication in English
• Master's degree or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other related fields.
• Experience working with UX teams to define, prototype, and implement great customer experiences.
• Understanding of common UX patterns and ability to identify and mitigate UX design risks early in the development process.
• Attuned design sense so can collaborate with UX designers and hold a high bar with "backend" SDE's.
• Understands frontend software design patterns (e.g. asynchronicity, data binding, modules, objects, promises).
• Experience with AWS Services (S3, Dynamo DB, Kinesis, EC2, Pinpoint, etc.).
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
• Passionate about mentoring and has deep hands-on technical expertise in full-stack development.
• Able to learn large scale complex systems quickly.
• Experience with with CI/CD in a frontend context.
• Experience establishing and leveraging web analytics.
• Ability to decompose problems into clear software and UX design actions.
• Ability to dive into source code of frontend libraries to debug, patch, and extend them when necessary.
• Knowledge of engineering and operational excellence best practices.
Back to top