Front End Engineer
- Tempe, AZ
The Amazon Middle Mile Product & Tech organization is seeking a talented, self-directed Front-End Engineer to design and build customer experiences for the Sort Tech team. Sort Tech builds the technologies and services that enable manual and automated sortation, containerization, loading, and unloading processes across Amazon's worldwide transportation network, including Fulfillment Centers, Inbound Receive Centers, Sort Centers, Amazon Air Gateways and Delivery Stations. We also build visibility platforms that enable operations managers to monitor and refine their volume and staffing, and optimize their operational processes. Our systems process millions of packages a day and ensure that Amazon can meet the customer delivery promise. Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation system on the planet using our engineering muscle as our biggest advantage.
You will help define the system architecture, own and implement specific components, and help shape the overall customer experience. You'll collaborate closely with research scientists, UX researchers and designers, and other engineering team members to help define the product. As an experienced engineer and early team member, you will provide the technical experience to the team, drive best practices, mentor other engineers and drive continuous improvements in engineering and operational excellence.
This role offers wide scope, autonomy, and ownership. You will be counted on to be an influential voice in decisions related to system architecture, feature development, and product strategy. We have an ambitious mission requiring engineers with great judgment and experience in building great customer experiences. The ideal candidate should have deep end-to-end front-end application knowledge, an obsession to build the right products for our customers, and experience with high-performance, highly available web applications. The candidate should be willing to take on challenging initiatives and be capable of working both independently and with others as a team.
In this role you will:
• Work directly with your customers and brainstorm, prototype, test, and iterate on new ideas to build new web services and products. See the positive impact of your work on real customers
• Own and operate the systems that you build based on real-time customer data and demanding service-level agreements
• Work with the latest technologies and tools and shape the vision of the web stack. Find out what it takes to engineer systems for "Amazon Scale"
• Learn from others and help grow those in your team
• Contribute and drive planning, design, implementation, testing, operations, and process improvement as a member of a Scrum team
• Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent work experience
• 4+ years of experience with design and development of web applications in production environments
• Experience developing software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Track record of delivering front-end software that is correct, stable, performant, scalable, secure, and accessibility compliant
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, CI/CD, testing, and operations
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, management, and non-technical stakeholders to collect requirements, evaluate alternatives and describe product strategy, technical designs, and software product features
• Able to solve difficult software and UX problems with some ambiguity. Pushes for information to avoid solving the wrong problem and mitigate UI risks early in the process to avoid feature delays. Can decompose a problem into clear software and UX design actions.
• Proficient in a broad range of software design approaches and common UX patterns. Knows when (and when not) to use front-end software design patterns (e.g. asynchronicity, data binding, modules, objects, promises)
• Experience with modern object-oriented programming languages such as Java, Ruby, or C#, preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform
• Understands how to optimize the delivery of code and assets (e.g., images, fonts) to a browser or device (e.g., lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc.)
• Understands how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., application impact on memory and CPU, caches appropriately, respectful of customer's devices, etc.) and has hands on experience with UI performance profiling
• Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, agile environment and in an ownership and results-oriented culture
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top