Finance Placement Year
- Herndon, VA
Finance Placement Year
At Amazon, we are working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. Amazon is continually evolving and is a place where motivated employees thrive, and employee ownership and accountability lead to meaningful results.
Are you willing to dive deep to develop those solutions and deliver results? At Amazon, we move with purpose and speed, and this requires us to work with a dynamic network of retail, HR, marketing, tech and operations partners. We help others understand finance and are trusted business advisors. We employ every facet of data and communication to ensure our partners and our leaders have the most up to date and reliable information to help them make the best possible decision.
The Amazon EU Student Programs Team is looking for finance Interns to work alongside, and support managers gaining a deep insight into the financial systems, processes, and controls used to record Amazon's growing volume of daily, weekly, and monthly transactions.
You will learn how finance supports the various business teams in forecasting and analyzing actual financial results, managing the external reporting of Amazon's quarterly financial statements and inputting to the launch of new customer-focused initiatives to ensure customers can find and discover anything and everything they want online.
As part of our commitment to your development, during your 12-month placement you will gain exposure to areas within our finance department, these may include accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, taxation, and commercial finance. These teams are responsible for the following:
• Monthly internal financial results close process
• Quarterly consolidated financial reports released to public
• Annual certification of effectiveness of financial reporting controls and statutory financial statements
Finance Operations (accounts receivable & payable):
• External relationship management with vendors and customers
• Internal relationship management with vendor managers and other finance teams
• Financial and commercial risk management including bad debt risk and vendor shipment holds
• Partner with shared service centers in India and Slovakia
• Preparing weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasts
• Modeling expected impact of new initiatives and businesses
• Analyzing variations against expected results
• Supporting finance and business teams with insights on key input and output performance indicators.
Tax / VAT:
• Analysis of tax legislation and application to Amazon's facts and filing requirements
• Preparation and submission of VAT filings
• Ad hoc tax questions from the businesses and support of business launches and projects.
Job Responsibilities include:
• Collecting, analyzing, and reviewing quantitative data and creating meaningful reports to drive business improvement and cost reductions
• Root cause analysis and uncovering core issues using data
• Assist with development, and implementation of policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and profitability
• Assist in the development of all weekly and monthly financial close, all planning, forecasting, and reporting models and their continuous innovation and improving the use and ease of interpretation by your business partners
• Work with data source providers and technology teams to ensure that key decision data is accurate, automated, and timely
• Currently enrolled in or will receive a Bachelor's or Master's Degree with a graduation date between July and September 2023
• Working towards a degree in finance, accounting, business and/or similar discipline focused on analytics
• Analytical acumen and interpersonal and communication skills and be someone who is comfortable with ambiguity and working with large databases
• Experience in Excel (e.g., sum, if, pivots, lookups)
• Experience performing financial and ad hoc analysis using Excel
• Experience demonstrating problem solving and root cause analysis
• Proven ability to develop new ideas and solutions
• Ability to meet tight deadlines, priorities workload, and achieve effective results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
• Demonstrated effective communication and presentation skills by working with peers and various levels of management
• Experience working with large-scale data mining and reporting tools (e.g., SQL, MSAccess, Essbase, and/or Cognos)
• Fluent written and spoken English
• Proficient written and spoken communication in a second European language
Application and Assessment Process
Selected candidates will be invited to attend a virtual interview consisting of a combination of interviews and case studies. This selection process is subject to change but you will be notified if any changes are made.
Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
EU Student Programs Team
Back to top