Field Transportation Lead
Field Transportation Lead you will work to assist in coaching and mentoring the team. You will work as a backup for your Area Manager. You will assist in yard operations by performing a variety of duties inclusive of operating a spotter truck. In this fast-paced environment, you will be working in an active trailer yard. This role will spend the majority of the time in the FC yard.
- Perform leadership functions for the yard team, including regular 1:1 coaching and development sessions and directing the team as needed during the work day.
- Perform the duties of the Area Manager when the Area Manager is not on site.
- Correspond with multiple shipping companies and their contacts including escalations
- Conduct daily coordination with FC operations departments, transportation peers and carriers to ensure all trailers arrive and depart on time with zero defects.
- Maintain the accuracy and integrity of the FC trailer yard through meticulous attention to detail and daily yard audits.
- Consolidate information from different sources to determine daily trailer pool requirements and trailer flow in yard.
- Consolidate data from multiple data sources to generate daily reports to support business needs.
- Need to learn how to use multiple carrier provided shipping software to ship and track packages
- Escalate systematic and operational issues through case and ticket systems
- Audit delivery and shipping documents as needed including seal inspection
- Troubleshoot shipping problems and errors to resolution
- Communicate well with peers, managers and outside carriers to coordinate activities according to needs
- Comprehensive understanding of shipping requirements, rules and obligations by carrier, destination and package type
- Ensure that all safety measures and precautions are in place and being used regarding the docks and trailers
- Assist in off-site yard operations
- Rotate through all duties required of Yard Specialist (trailer check-in/out, auditing, escalation and exception management and hosteling
- Need to know or be able to learn the shipping and truckload transportation process
- Must be well organized and detailed oriented with the ability to multi-task
- Must be accurate, reliable and understand the importance of deadlines and work as required to satisfy deadlines
- Must be able to be proactive and work well with others
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Operation of spotter vehicle
- Operates a spotter truck
- Moves trailers between trailer yard and dock doors
- Commitment to yard rules and safety policies, and safe behaviors
- Move empty or full trailers between trailer yard and dock doors
- Utilize handheld mobile device to log all trailer moves in Yard Management System and maintain accurate yard inventory
- Perform manual dolly movements
- Perform hostler assisted dolly movements
- Chocking equipment
Physical Demands to be performed with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Standing and/or walking during a minimum ten-hour shift
- Some lifting and moving of packages, most weighing 35 pounds or less
- Walking in the FC and Yard area with great frequency
- Manual dexterity in hands and wrist
- Regular bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head
This role is not VCP eligible.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Must be flexible for daily overtime and varying schedules as needed· Experience in Microsoft Office applications including but not limited to MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Must have a valid driver's license, maintain appropriate insurance, and pass a motor vehicle background check.
- At least 2 years commercial driving experience in a vehicle of similar size, weight, and controls as a terminal tractor
- Proficiency in backing trailers into dock doors and parking slips
- Bachelor degree is preferred.
- Good communication skills with diverse audiences with confidence, clarity, and right focus.
- Strong logical thinking, analytical skill, and problem solving skill.
- Good teamwork mentality to build trustworthy and supportive working relationships.
- Ability to learn quickly and work under high pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Currently in T3 or higher position with Amazon
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top