Environmental Program Manager - EMS
For more than 14 years, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has been the world's most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud computing platform. What is cloud computing? Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of IT resources over the Internet. Instead of buying, owning, and maintaining physical data centers and servers, companies can access technology services, such as computing power, storage, and databases, on an as-needed basis from AWS. AWS offers over 175 fully featured services for compute, storage, databases, networking, analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, mobile, security, hybrid, virtual and augmented reality, media, and application development, deployment, and management from 77 Availability Zones across 24 geographic regions. AWS services are trusted by millions of active customers around the world - including the fastest-growing startups, largest enterprises, and leading government agenciesto power their infrastructure, make them more agile, and lower costs. AWS is committed to running our business in the most environmentally friendly way possible, and our scale allows us to achieve higher resource utilization and energy efficiency than the typical on-premises data center. In 2019 Amazon announced The Climate Pledge, which includes our commitment to power our operations with 100% renewable energy by 2025, on the path to achieving net zero carbon across our businesses by 2040. To learn more about AWS, visit https://aws.amazon.com and https://sustainability.aboutamazon.com/environment/the-cloud.
The AWS Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) team is an expanding and dynamic team that is critical to enabling AWS's growth around the world, as well as ensuring compliance of AWS's global operations, including physical data centers, as well as other AWS facilities, customer-facing enterprises and products. The EHS team has responsibility for architecting and implementing AWS's global environmental and safety programs. This includes defining and implementing risk management and compliance systems and driving their continuous improvement; setting and refining global policies and procedures; overseeing the development of standards, tools, auditing and metrics, and employee training; ensuring effective engagement by environmental and health & safety teams on global initiatives, including those that are part of Amazon's ambitious sustainability goals; providing specialist expertise; and engaging with all AWS business units to provide scalable and effective environmental and health & safety compliance strategies that support current and future business objectives while ensuring employee safety and compliance with environmental and health & safety regulations.
We are searching for an Environmental Program Manager (EPM) EMS that will be responsible for driving a systematic approach to deliver the requirements of the AWS Environmental Management System (EMS). The EPM will develop policies and workflows to support a global EMS and provide guidance to regional environmental and operations teams regarding EMS requirements. The individual will identify and drive improvement opportunities through the collection, analysis and communication of data-driven measurements and completion of EMS audits.
The EPM must have excellent communication skills, demonstrated success in program development and management, and experience working with geographically dispersed teams on complex and technical projects.
• Manage and oversee the EMS for the assigned geography, including the initial communications and implementation.
• Provide EMS program-level training and coaching to regional staff to ensure technical competence across the region.
• Conduct thorough and accurate EMS audits to measure conformance with EMS requirements, including tracking and ensuring all findings are closed in a timely manner.
• Maintain all necessary documentation to ensure accurate and up-to-date conformance with the EMS.
• Oversee EMS-related performance metric reporting and communication.
• Partner with key teams such as Operations, Legal, and Procurement to continually and effectively capture opportunities for improvement and facilitate the implementation of these improvements.
• Function as a subject matter expert in environmental management systems and be an effective communicator capable of sending clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing.
• Prioritize and manage multiple technically complex assignments concurrently.
• Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to ensure risks are identified early and managed appropriately.
• Bachelor's Degree in chemical or environmental engineering, chemistry, or related field of study.
• 5+ years of experience serving as an environmental technical resource, program specialist, or program manager.
• Broad knowledge of global environmental programs and regulations.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including experience interfacing with senior leaders.
• Expert knowledge of ISO 14001:2015.
• Experience successfully implementing environmental management systems pursuant to ISO 14001:2015.
• Working knowledge of an auditor's role in planning, leading and following-up on a management system audit in accordance with ISO 14001:2015.
• Strong interpersonal skills: excellent communication skills, strong relationship builder, solid influencing and negotiation skills, and the ability to coach at multiple levels.
• Experience leading change across multiple sites/locations and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports or within your organization.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills.
• Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability.
• Proficient with MS Excel, Word, and Windows Operating Systems.
• Experience in a fast paced, changing/growing organization.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Willing to travel up to 25%.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top