Amazon Games is looking for an exceptionally skilled Environment Artist to join our New World team in Sunny Irvine, CA. In New World, players will fight for survival as they explore and conquer the mysterious island of Aeternum. In this role, you will work alongside a vibrant community of developers and game-lovers as we all work to share this ambitious game with the world. You will be helping to craft and create our worlds. You will need to combine a strong aesthetic sense of visually interesting spaces with a solid understanding of level design.
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
• Create living, breathing, terrain environments that are exceptional artistically and as game play spaces
• Work with the terrain/tech art team, world builders and designers to ensure artistic unity with the entire project.
• Excel at technical and aesthetic quality throughout the production pipeline.
• Drive production of foliage and biomes, creating reference boards, creating assets and working with outsourcing
• Optimize for performance and memory.
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
• 3+ years of experience in the game industry with at least 1 shipped AAA title or equivalent work in a related field
• 3+ years of experience with game terrain creation
• Online Portfolio demonstrating game terrains, foliage creation, general world building, lighting skills, modeling, and material creation
• Bachelor's Degree in Art or in related field
• Demonstrate foundational skills in composition, design, and color theory.
• Expertise in production of foliage and biomes, creating reference boards, creating organic assets and working with outsourcing
• Expertise in major 2D and 3D software packages (Houdini, Max/Maya, Photoshop, Substance)
• Knowledge of at least one Game Engine (CryEngine, Unreal, or equivalent)
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principle requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.