Engineering Operations Technician
- London, United Kingdom
Amazon is seeking a collaborative electrical maintenance professional for our Amazon Web Services Team.
This engineering operations technician position serves as the on-site maintenance technician and operator for an AWS data centre.
The Data Centre Engineering Operations Technician (EOT) is responsible for operating and maintaining all electrical, mechanical, emergency generator, and fire/life safety equipment within the data centre. The EOT serves as a technical resource to support Amazon within its data centres. Data centre equipment that supports mission-critical servers must maintain better than 99.999% uptime. EOT's are also tasked with driving innovation while reducing operational costs in the facilities.
EOT's are Amazon's front line responders for hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting and operation. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, stand-by diesel generators, switchboards/switch-gears, UPS's, PDU's, AHU's, pumps, motors, VFD's, and building automation systems. They provide 24/7 shift coverage which could include 12 hour shifts, rotating shifts, 3, 4, or 5 day work weeks, and may change based on the needs of the business.
• Operate and maintain mechanical and electrical equipment
• Troubleshooting of facility and rack-level events within internal SLAs
• Perform limited maintenance tasks to include: filter changes, HVAC PMs, rack power installs, rack PDU, and rack ATS replacements
• Provide support to Data Centre Operations technicians
• Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures
• Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to while performing work
• Able to work a 12 hour shift (rotating 3 and 4 day work weeks days or nights)
• Take daily operational readings of all mechanical and electrical equipment through routine rounds/log taking (temperatures, voltages, currents, etc.)
• Utilise internal CMMS to manage building workflows and spare part inventory
• Supervise contractors who perform servicing or preventive maintenance
• Respond to off hour emergency calls per on call rotation for any one of the region's sites
• Fully comply with all physical security procedures and policies
• This position may involve a night shift.
• Commutable to the Thames Valley Region
• Ability to work in cramped and/or elevated locations with or without reasonable accommodation
• Able to relocate for up to 1 year for specialised training to prepare for a deployment location in a new data centre region.
• Technical training (Military or trade school) or relevant experience
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Proficient with Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word) and web-based operational tools
• Familiar with BMS and EPMS control systems and data collection/trending
• Proficient with maintenance management software
• 4+ years of Data Centre Engineering Experience
• Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or relevant discipline
• Fundamental knowledge of network design and layout as well as low voltage (copper/ fibre) cabling.
Back to top