Electrical Design Engineer - Data Centers
Amazon Web Services is seeking an Electrical Engineer to become part of a global engineering team, responsible for the design and continuous innovation of the Medium Voltage and High Voltage infrastructure associated with our rapidly expanding data center foot print.
Engineers at Amazon work to design resilient, cost effective electrical distribution systems. As engineers at Amazon we are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make to Senior Leadership and work hard to drive continuous advancements and improvements with our designs. As an engineer at Amazon you have the ability to drive change and define/design the systems our customers rely on.
Amazon offers a fast paced, fun, and exciting work environment. We continue to grow at exponential rates and are looking for individuals that can support our speed to market, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning experiences. Amazon's work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate.
If you are a creative, smart and driven individual that enjoys working with complex problems we want YOU! At Amazon you will be responsible for working on multi-million dollar designs that support our array of businesses and wide variety of customers. Great ideas are encouraged and supported. Ingenuity is the main mechanism which supports our focus on quality, speed, and cost.
We are looking for engineers with hands on electrical design experience. If you can design an electrical system, have an understanding of the critical equipment needs for a data center, and understand the constructability of varying designs you may be a good fit. Engineers will be responsible for taking designs from concept to the permit and construction document set. You must be capable of defining critical equipment specifications and approving equipment submissions. Engineers will indirectly support construction and be a part of the process from site selection review through commissioning and ultimately turnover. You will be relied on as a subject matter expert in the electrical engineering field.
At Amazon we highly support continued learning opportunities and focus on continued employee development.
At Amazon team work is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required work. As an electrical engineer at Amazon you will be working with other internal groups as well as external groups including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
Amazon has a global presence. 25% travel will be expected as part of this role. International support will be part of the job, and some international travel may be necessary. Support could consist of working on international teams and could require developing schematic and design document packages. An understanding of international electrical design requirements is helpful but not necessary.
We are the leaders in our industry. We always strive to improve in every aspect of our business. Continuous improvement through Lean Engineering practices is fundamental to our business. As an engineer within our team you will spend a regular part of your time analyzing and improving every aspect of our value stream.
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the following:
• Work with internal teams to understand user requirements.
• Data center electrical designs and collaboration with other disciplines to create a construction document set.
• Participate in site selection reviews.
• Critical Data Center equipment design including HV sub-stations, site-wide MV infrastructure, Generators, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, Switchgear, Transformers and Earthing.
• Design and collaborate with other disciplines to create a construction document set.
• Creation of designs which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary requirements.
• Work with regional vendors and manufacturers to specify the appropriate electrical equipment.
• Work with local utilities to understand and define site utility requirements.
• Work with local agencies having jurisdiction to ensure compliance with IEC requirements, the various APAC wide design codes and other jurisdictional requirements.
• Review and approval of equipment submissions.
• Define project scope and provide technical support for information requests prior to, and during construction phases.
• Work with commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical systems.
• Ability to work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
• Travel to sites for site review and work with onsite field engineers, as well as provide engineering evaluations, electrical systems audits, and startup as needed.
• Be a leader within the global group as well as within internal and external teams that support Amazon's data centers.
• Having fun and offering creative, out of the box solutions.
• Degree in an Electrical Engineering.
• Cumulative 6+ years of experience with power systems and mission critical electrical design with and emphasis of HV/MV design.
• Excellent understanding of the various code requirements across the APAC region.
• Fundamental understanding of critical HV , MV and LV electrical equipment.
• Possess leadership and problem solving skills.
• Be a motivated, highly dependable individual.
• Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
• Ability to carry new design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/construction.
• An ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality, reliability, or maintainability.
• The ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions and present the justification to management in a high level review.
• Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
• Able to work in a diverse team
• Chartered Engineer
• Master's degree in an Electrical Engineering.
• 3 years of experience directly related to data center or mission critical facility design.
• Detailed understanding of HV/MV system modelling, relays, protections schemes, high-voltage circuit breakers, power and distribution transformers electrical switchgear, grounding and earthing.
• Previous consultant negotiation and management skills associated with design, construction and project execution.
• Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
• Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
• Knowledge of building codes and regulations.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Back to top