The Senior Economist Manager will be a critical leader for both Amazon Lending and Amazon Business, responsible for managing a team of researchers building credit decision logic and establishing a rapidly growing and strongly performing credit portfolio across business customers who choose to Pay By Invoice (PBI). This role will report into the Amazon Lending team based in Seattle, WA.
Amazon Business represents an incredible opportunity to address a vast new market segment and customer base and is an area of high interest for Amazon. We are focused on building solutions that enable our business customers to find, research, and buy products and services from a vast selection, across multiple devices, marketplaces and regions. These business customers include individual professionals, small businesses to large institutions (and everything in between). The needs of these business customers are different from those of the traditional Amazon customer, so we are reinventing everything from how we display our selection, price our products, and provide the right customer experience. We are launching a new invoicing service for Business Buyers, with initial offerings in the US and Germany and more to come soon. We believe we are in a unique position to serve Amazon Business customers with exceptional value due to our deep understanding and insight into our base coupled with our data-grounded analytic and customer-focused approach to building products. This role presents a significant intellectual, operational, and business management challenge with enormous opportunity for business impact.
The Senior Economist Manager has the strategic responsibility of setting the research roadmap for a team of six researchers and continuing to hire to support future launches and expansion (expect to hire 3-5 additional researchers in the next 12 months). The team is multidisciplinary, including Research Scientists specializing in ML, Business Intelligence Engineers specializing in ML, querying, and business analytics, and Economists specializing in causal inference. The team designs and builds credit decision logic so that Business Buyers can be adequately risk-screened for invoicing credit lines, and builds tools to monitor ongoing performance and update credit lines. This work requires accurate prediction models to determine who we should approve for credit as well as accurate causal models to understand the impact of policy changes and product engagement on customer behavior.
The PBI platform will grow significantly over the first few years, and the Senior Economist Manager will have the opportunity to plan and establish analytics for a new Amazon product / service offering while scaling fast with the business. There is opportunity for global influence for PBI platform development across future regions through the research team's work and through working with Product Managers, Data Engineers, Software Developers, and the Business Operations team to coordinate efforts. There will be much opportunity to demonstrate capabilities to dive deep, deliver results, think big, invent and simplify, learn and be curious, and insist on the highest standards.
- PhD in Economics or equivalent training/experience in a closely related field
- 3-5 years post-PhD relevant work experience
- Clear examples of demonstrated analytical skill in causal analysis, prediction, and optimization problems
- Experience managing and setting agendas for a research team and working with partners to manage project expectations and deliver results
- Analytical/problem solving skills and attention to detail, including the ability to recognize non-obvious patterns/predictors and propose insightful hypotheses
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Effective time management, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Experience sourcing and hiring research candidates from diverse fields
- Experience working in a corporate environment and evidence of positive impact on real world business decision making using analytics
- Experience in credit/finance/banking
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top