Director, Software Development
Our team tackles some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in AWS and possibly the world. We own the connection between using and paying for all AWS services, which includes metering, bill generation, bill presentation, payments, analytics, and fraud prevention. We take inputs from dozens of services you know and merge them with the 100s of millions of events per second to produce the lowest cost bills for our customers across a globally distributed cloud offering. This represents billions of dollars of usage and spend and is growing explosively. Because we sit at the nexus of all AWS services and interact directly with end-customers, our systems are built on all the elastic, scalable, distributed systems offered by AWS.
We are looking for a customer-focused executive to own operational excellence for the AWS Commerce Platform. Your expertise is deep and broad; you start with the customer and work backwards to develop a coherent vision for services that support the flexibility and scale that our customers expect from us. You have built and operated systems that support high-end business complexity and scale with simple and elegant solutions that are highly decoupled, yet operate in concert to produce customer experiences that are unique to Amazon.
You will own a material chunk of the commerce platform and join a select group of a people making history producing and selling infrastructure and software as a service. You will do this at an organization that is the acknowledged market leader and is regularly redefining the new normal for what is possible.
We are looking for a leader to grow our talented team of dedicated professionals. As a software development leader you will...
- Lead teams in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of services that facilitate commerce.
- Hire smart and motivated engineers and managers to establish teams that can deliver fast and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
- Ensure sanity of architecture, operational excellence, and quality while delivering results on time.
- Work closely with other AWS teams to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
- Obsess over protecting customer information, maintaining single-digit millisecond latencies, and simplifying enterprise scale commerce complexity.
- Mentor a large group of people and lead as a manager of managers with a direct handle on the pulse of each employee on your team.
- Define your product through your team of product managers and BI engineers.
- Dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments, and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
- Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within AWS on a weekly basis.
- Over 15 years of experience building and managing diverse development teams that design and deliver software products,
- Over 10 years of experience of managing products, budgets and justifying resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners
- Over 10 years of experience managing and effectively operating a complex system that is highly reliable
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent experience
- Have experience managing and leading multiple engineering teams for an organization
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Master's degree in CS, EE, Business Administration, or a related field preferred
- Over 20 years of experience preferred
- Experience with commerce and/or payment systems
- Experience with horizontally scalable systems
- Experience building and operating global systems
- Experience with multiple development sites
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top