Director, Engineering RDS Commercial Engines
- Vancouver, Canada
Amazon's Relational Database Service is the most secure, performant, reliable, scalable, and easy-to-administer platform for running your database. We take care of the undifferentiated heavy lifting so that you can focus on the things that matter to your business. Our hundreds of thousands of customers (and their millions of databases) are constantly pushing us for further innovation to help their database migration, modernization, and availability needs.
Oracle and SQL Server represent the largest footprint of on-premises database workloads, including many business critical applications that AWS' biggest and most strategic customers are eager to migrate to the cloud. RDS provides the best place to run these workloads all the way from ease of migration, availability and performance, to modernization via integrations with other AWS services.
We're one of the fastest growing businesses within Amazon Web Services. We are currently spread across Seattle, Vancouver, Sydney, and Dublin. Not only do we have deep database and systems programming problems to solve for our customers, but we also minimize the effort required to maintain databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage and replication / failover for high availability, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses.
The RDS Commercial Engines team is looking for a seasoned Director of Software Development to join our team and help us take RDS to the next level. We are seeking an exceptional engineering leader with strong analytical, design and problem diagnosis skills as well as expertise with high-performance systems or service design. The right leader will have strength in building and managing teams through all phases of software development and analytics, including hiring and growing your own team of managers. The ability to translate high-level technical requirements into executable project plans is essential. If this sounds like you, come join us in and help AWS continue to lead the cloud computing revolution.
What is in it for you?
• Huge impact: Work on a service that will be used, directly and indirectly, by millions of customers.
• Gratification: You will know you are solving problems most software developers don't yet know exist.
• Critical: Databases are cornerstones to many of our customers' applications.
• Ownership: you will quickly become responsible for key components of the service.
• Learn: If want to learn about challenges of large-scale fault tolerant systems in practice this is an opportunity of a life time.
• Innovate: We learn from our customers and invent every day.
• Make history: AWS is the leader in a current industry wide revolution.
• Have fun: Surround yourself with engineers that like to solve complex problems, but also work in a fun environment.
For more information please visit: https://aws.amazon.com/rds/
• BS Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
• Experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
• 10+ years of commercial software development experience, with at least 6 years managing a development team
• Experience with more than one of Java, C/C++, C#
• Experience leading teams designing and delivering systems level software
• Experience in designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Experience developing system software, distributed systems and data networking offerings
• Understanding of developing software with systems-level performance constraints.
• Familiarity with relational database principals.
• Background developing database internals.
Back to top