Director - Alexa Mobile
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains; we are inventing the future.We're looking for entrepreneurs who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers, demonstrate a high degree of product ownership, and want to have fun while they make history.
This role will lead the engineering effort of building the next generation of the Alexa mobile app platform and core app experiences. You will have an enormous opportunity to impact the customer experience, design, architecture, and implementation of a cutting edge mobile product that will be used every day by Alexa customers.
As an Engineering Director, you will be responsible for leading teams of engineers, PMs, and TPMs, in design, development, test, and deployment of cloud-connected mobile apps for an ever growing customer base. A successful candidate will have an established background of building native mobile apps, with extensive technical knowledge of development techniques and latest practices on iOS and Android. You are a leader with progressive technical experience, a demonstrated progression of management scope, and a passion for managing engineering talent in a fast-paced environment. You have kept your software architecture skills sharp, and possess exceptional project management and communication skills.
- Responsible for the overall software development life cycle.
- Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments;
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class organization
- Work closely with your leaders to architect and develop the best technical design and approach.
- Contribute substantively to innovation on mobile and overcome technology limitations to deliver on customer experience.
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
- Responsible for the maintenance and enhancement of frameworks.
We are looking for entrepreneurial, innovative individuals who thrive on solving tough problems. You will be joining a select group of a people making history producing one of the most highly rated products in Amazon's history.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 10+ years of Engineering experience.
- Experience in software product management, e-commerce product management and/or product incubation.
- Experience working in a cross-functional capacity delivering products to market.
- Experience in delivering technology products/services in a high growth environment, with a demonstrated ability to translate customer needs into business and product requirements.
- Must be able to think strategically and act tactically.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are crucial, as well as ability to think clearly, analyze quantitatively, solve problems, scope technical requirements and prioritize project work.
- Sound business judgment, proven ability to influence others, and strong analytical thinking skills are critical to success in this position.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever is necessary; general manager / owner mentality and an entrepreneurial drive; demonstrated ability to have fun and inspire team members to enjoy work, be action-oriented and stretch their imagination.
- Successful history of shipping innovative products
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills, ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases.
- Demonstrated ability to dive deep in understanding the product, our business, and the competitive landscape
- A computer science background or equivalent technical background is strongly preferred.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top