Expanding direct imports represents one of the greatest opportunities to deliver incremental Free Cash Flow across the US Hardlines Business for Amazon. In this role, you will champion expansion of the Hardlines Direct Import program - defining and executing against a vision to deliver step-change results in both the scope of imported product and the corresponding savings generated by import activity. You will be charged with delivering both near-term improvements and long-term results derived from direct import expansion including wider product selection, improved product availability, better value for customers, improved operating margin, lower transportation costs, and increased competitive advantage.
Core responsibilities of this role include:
• Accelerating profitable expansion of Hardlines direct imports by implementing scalable processes to identify and on-board new import opportunities
• Creating a cohesive and actionable roadmap for GLs by analyzing potential customer and financial implications of import process improvement opportunities, identifying and prioritizing the most promising areas for impact, and securing cross-team support to implement required changes
• Partnering with Retail category teams and Amazon Global Mile to identify root causes which create barriers to import expansion, then implementing robust plans to address
• Uncovering challenges for Retail teams within the import process, and advocating on their behalf with internal stakeholders to optimize Amazon's import process
• Working closely with SCOT to uncover savings opportunities throughout the supply chain and further optimize Amazon's net landed cost
The successful candidate will enjoy diving deep into data, identifying defects and opportunities, and designing/implementing long-term solutions in collaboration with retail, operations, and software development teams. The individual will thrive in a highly collaborative, analytical, creative, and fast-paced environment. The candidate must have the analytical horsepower to break down complex problems, and a strong will to get things done and deliver results no matter the obstacles. Finally, he or she must also be a strong communicator and influencer, with the ability to communicate concisely and effectively with senior leaders and multiple stakeholders to drive meaningful change.
Needed Skills and Abilities:
• Bias for Action and Deliver Results: Ability to successfully deliver projects from end-to-end, working with urgency through inevitable obstacles along the way
• Are Right a Lot: Aptitude in identifying the most critical areas to drive impact and prioritizing those areas to deliver needed results. Demonstrated ability to discern "small" ideas from "big" ideas, and understanding of "one-way" versus "two-way" doors to ensure the organization moves quickly and decisively to deliver results.
• Influence: Innovative leader with the ability to identify opportunities and influence multiple organizations to gain support and overcome resistance with data and persuasion
• Strong Communication: Ability to communicate expectations and requirements equally well with business and technology teams, and capacity to write well-reasoned and data-driven proposals, performing independent data analysis as necessary
• Analytical Problem Solving: Ability to utilize exceptional problem-solving skills to work through difficult challenges. You will not just work with, but also influence and drive action across a variety of stakeholders including senior business leaders, global inventory planning and transportation teams, vendor managers, and in-stock managers.
• Bachelor's Degree required
• Experience in retail business ownership and/or direct ownership of Import capabilities inside or outside Amazon
• High attention to detail, comfortable with "hands-on" management of tasks, and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
• Demonstrated data-driven decision making or quantitative analysis skills (including advanced knowledge of Excel and SQL)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Willingness to travel internationally as needed to assess and improve our imports program (likely ~2x year)
• MBA or advance degree in Business, Finance, Operations, or related field
• 6+ years of proven track record in Product/Program Management, taking ownership and driving business results
• Experience working in a fast-paced, high-tech environment
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.