Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
A DevOps Engineer on the FireOS DevOps team would be responsible for operational excellence around services used by our customers.
Responsibilities include not only building tools to support, deploy and monitor applications, but also building tools around the APIs supported by these applications.
It is a challenge to work with such a wide scope of services but it is also great opportunity for engineers who are looking to push themselves and prove that they can achieve great things.
These systems are heavily used by both internal and external customers alike and have aggressive SLAs -- which means architecting a scalable, fault-tolerant system is essential.
You will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive and design innovative solutions. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative environment. You will take part in designing solutions to hard problems across a global infrastructure platform. You will work closely with multiple DevOps teams to drive the SDLC from concept to launch and ensuring the highest level of quality for your deliverables.
Traits and Duties
DevOps Engineers are expected to have a strong sense of ownership, be extremely reliable and have an excellent level of systems and technical knowledge backed up by hands on experience.
- You develop pragmatic solutions. You build flexible systems without over-engineering and choose simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones.
- You continue to move forward in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge. You do not suffer from "analysis paralysis".
- You communicate clearly both verbally and in writing with your team and with other groups.
- Work with teams across Amazon on cross-team initiatives.
- Scaling and supporting services used by internal/external customers.
- Building plug-ins for Atlassian services and self-service tools around Atlassian APIs.
- Planning and coordinating feature improvements and upgrades around tools that build FireOS.
- Managing meta data around external vendors that work with internal teams and automate the onboarding process.
- Representing Systems Operations while working with internal teams and external partners.
- Troubleshooting and resolving problems with production systems as part of our on-call rotation.
- Developing and maintaining operations tools.
- Functional scripting/programming experience with Perl/Python/Ruby, Bash.
- Experience with security and data encryption.
- Experience in building applications with a focus on customer experience.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Excellent customer service, communication, documentation, work prioritization and analytical skills.
- Previous experience solving problems for customers through software tooling.
- Carving out requirements around ambiguous projects.
- Ability and willingness to go above and beyond one's comfort zone when it comes to learning about infrastructure and the software development lifecyle.
- Tuning applications for performance.
- Energy and passion to invent and create new solutions, challenge the status quo and drive positive change.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top