Database Engineering Manager
- Palo Alto, CA
At Amazon Web Services (AWS), we are the public cloud. We take databases to their limits - our customers rely on RDS and Aurora databases for their business and due to our scale, we solve challenges no other database environment sees. We are creatively and disruptively solving some of the most complex database problems related to immense growth, scaling, high performance and high availability requirements. Do these types of challenges excite you? if so ....
AWS Database Services is currently looking for a talented Database Engineering Manager for the RDS and Aurora MySQL database services. The manager will drive technical leadership, operational excellence, and certification for new versions for database platforms with hundreds of thousands of customer database systems. You must possess strong leadership, be detail-oriented, a quick decision maker, work with data, and have a passion for getting things right. When issues occur, you must have a desire to not only ensure rapid restoration of service for our customer, but also drive feature enhancements to permanently resolve the root cause.
You will help grow, hire and lead world-class talent, manage relationships with other teams and peers, and help guide technical direction for the RDS services. You will work with development teams to align our process with the design of next-generation services, ensuring alignment with our long-term strategic objectives. You will coordinate efforts to contribute fixes and enhancements to the open-source communities maintaining MySQL and related projects. This position involves regular communication with senior management on plans, status, risks and emergent issues. Excellent listening, writing, verbal communication skills, and very strong technical competency are essential. Key to success in this position is an equal passion for delivering new features and capabilities, as well as operating the current applications at the highest level of quality, ensuring that our customers have a world-class experience.
• You have had success recruiting, managing and developing a geographically diverse group of world class engineers.
• You have consistently driven improvements and work hard to identify true root causes of systemic issues and fix them the first time.
• You can write and present effectively. You have proven experience with authoring project plans, root cause analyses, and team development documents.
• You are able to speak with clarity and influence to entry level engineers and technical/business leadership alike.
• You are curious, you take the time to learn and stay abreast of upcoming technologies and industry trends.
• You take the time to learn about your customers' businesses and ensure that your team is aligned with those priorities.
• You have database engineer/administrator experience managing high transaction, highly available database systems
• You have expert hands on experience with MySQL and several database engines, including Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, or Aurora.
• You have hands on experience running or supporting customers that have large database systems.
• You have used and are familiar with the AWS family of cloud services.
• You can get your hands dirty. You are hands-on when needed.
• Software development experience is a huge plus.
Locations: Seattle, Palo Alto or Vancouver
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Management, Mathematics, Physical Sciences or a related quantitative field
• 4+ years experience managing development or engineering teams and operations
• Minimum of 10 years experience supporting multiple databases for performance critical, highly available systems
• Professional experience with UNIX/Linux platform
• Experience supporting external customers for critical database systems
• Experience working with multiple customer teams
• Experience with SQL and DB performance tuning skills.
• Experience running internet scale systems in AWS or similar.
• Experience in consultancy role, assisting and mentoring junior DB Engineering staff.
• Track record of engineering performance and availability solutions
• Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities.
• Experience managing geographically diverse teams and environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top