Database Engineer - PostgreSQL
- Seattle, WA
/ Open to multiple locations: Seattle, Palo Alto, Vancouver, Boston, or virtual /
Relational Database Service (RDS) is one of the fastest growing AWS businesses, providing and managing relational databases as a service. RDS is seeking talented database engineers who will innovate and engineer solutions in the area of database technology. This is not a DBA job where you manage databases. We're looking for DBE's with engineering experience to help us automate databases at scale.
We need individuals who are enthusiastic about applying bold new ideas to solving real-world customer problems and who are passionate about working with customers. Candidates must be able to translate customers' needs and use cases into technical innovation and robust engineering solutions on AWS.
The Database Engineering team is actively engaged in the ongoing database engineering process, partnering with development groups and providing deep subject matter expertise to feature design, and as an advocate for bringing forward and resolving customer issues. In this role you act as the "Voice of the Customer" helping software engineers understand how custom, drive feature enhancements, and permanently resolve the root causes of issues.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Deep knowledge and experience designing and maintaining PostgreSQL relational databases
• Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (EC2, EBS, S3, etc.)
• Experience building and maintaining complex mission-critical production database systems
• Experience analyzing issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage.
• Proven track record of automating tasks.
• Broad awareness of customer workloads and use cases, including performance, availability and scalability
• Awareness of emerging technologies and approaches in IT
• Working knowledge of relational database internals (locking, consistency, serialization, recovery paths)
• Systems engineering experience, including Linux performance, memory management, I/O tuning, configuration, security, networking, clusters and troubleshooting.
• Working knowledge of at least one scripting language (shell, Python, Perl).
• Working knowledge of at least one compiled application programming language (Java, C, C++, Go, Rust)
• Coding skills in the procedural language for at least one database engine (PL/SQL, T-SQL etc.)
• Excellent communication skills.
• Experience developing extensions or patches for PostgreSQL project or ecosystem
• Experience configuring database high availability, connection pooling, and load balancing
• Experience migrating databases & application code from commercial engines to Aurora PostgreSQL
• Software development or Consulting experience is a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top