Database Engineer - Ads (Seattle/Palo Alto/Toronto)
- Seattle, WA
Open to multiple locations: Seattle/Palo Alto/Toronto
Amazon is investing heavily in building an excellent advertising business, we are responsible for defining, and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products - "always-on analytics" that is fully scalable and reliable. Our products are strategically important to our leadership, finance, economists, analysts, and BI partners to drive long-term growth. We mine billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative, and fun loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
The Amazon performance advertising team is looking for an exceptional Database Engineer who is passionate about persistence data store, who thinks/acts globally, and who has the ability to contribute major novel innovations in the industry to fill the role. The role will focus on working with a team of database engineers, data engineers, business and tech savvy professionals to lay down scalable data architecture for large amounts of structured and unstructured data persistence store using rdbms, big data technologies like hadoop and redshift, work with stakeholders to drive business decisions based on these data persistence stores. The ideal candidate will possess both a database engineering background and a strong business acumen that enables him/her to think strategically and add value to increase the support business and the customer experience. He/she will experience a wide range of problem solving situations, strategic to real-time online transaction processing system and online analytics, requiring extensive use of data collection and analysis techniques such as data mining and machine learning.
The successful candidate will work with multiple global site leaders, Business Analysts, Software Developers, Database Engineers, Product Management, and Finance, in addition to stakeholders in sales, marketing and service teams to create a coherent customer view. He/she will:
• Mentor and develop database engineers and database administrator.
• Develop and improve the current data architecture for AWS Redshift, PostgreSQL, MySQL and Hadoop/Hbase Cluster.
• Keep up to date with advances in data persistence and big data technologies and run pilots to design the data architecture to scale with the increased data sets of advertiser experience.
• Database & Application (SQL & PL/SQL) performance tuning, plan stability, hints, analytical queries.
• Monitor and maintain database security and database software
• Root cause analysis of production-related database issues
• Daily maintenance, monitoring, problem resolution and internal customer/development support
• Review, design and develop data models in conjunction with the application development teams
• On-call for production databases on a rotation basis
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field.
• 6+ years of experience developing data management systems, tools and architectures using MySQL and PostgreSQL databases, Redshift and/or other distributed computing systems.
• Experience designing and operating very large Data Warehouses and web facing online transaction processing databases.
• Proficient in Linux, and programming languages such as R, Python, Ruby or Java.
• Master's degree in Information Systems or a related field.
• Capable of investigating, familiarizing and mastering new datasets quickly.
• Experience with managing large Oracle, MySQL or PostgreSQL RDBMS databases
• Experience with MPP databases such as Greenplum or Vertica.
• Experience with Java and Map Reduce frameworks such as Hive/Hadoop.
• Familiarity with new advances in the big data space such as Hadoop/ EMR and NoSQL technologies like Dynamo DB.
• Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities.
• An ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is occurring and ambiguity is the norm.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top