Database Administrator, Digital Commerce Platform
- Seattle, WA
The Digital DBA team is a central part of a vibrant and growing set of teams focused on high availability and performance of the overall Digital experience and consists of DBAs supporting specialized teams of software development engineers building and supporting the services behind Amazon digital businesses like music, video, digital devices, etc. As a Database Administrator you will be providing high quality and availability databases across the Digital Commerce Services
The successful candidate will have expert level skills in relevant database technologies, understand business requirements and technical implementation of distributed services architectures, and have a demonstrated ability to collaborate with engineering teams in other geographies to define and implement broad, business-wide standards for the way databases are designed and implemented. Next, strategy will be translated into efficient and scalable implementation methodologies and tracked by meaningful metrics.
- Database & Application (SQL) performance tuning
- Monitor and maintain database security and database software
- Design, develop, implement and maintain PostgreSQL database instances
- Backup and recovery
- Root cause analysis of production-related database issues
- Daily maintenance, monitoring, problem resolution and internal customer/development support
- Review, design and develop data models in conjunction with the application development teams
- Test, validate and implement performance and resource solutions
- Design, develop, implement and maintain new tools to manage, upgrade and monitor a large fleet of databases (around 120)
- On-call for production databases on a rotation basis
• BS in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and experience
• Seven or more years of industry experience, including at least five years of hands-on DB administration, three or more years hands-on DB development projects
• Fluency in DB technologies and tools, DB development
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a track record of working effectively with Development Engineering and other functions
• Converting logical to physical design
• Backup and recovery
• On-call support
• PostgreSQL experience (desirable)
• Highly motivated to solve problems efficiently.
• Fast troubleshooting and resolution skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks with shifting priorities.
• Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with DBA and application teams
• Experience with high-volume OLTP database systems.
• Experience in a 24X7 production environment
• Experience with terabyte databases.
• Knowledge of DBA best practices (e.g., schema management, index optimization)
• Strong query and database tuning skills
• Capacity monitoring and management capabilities
• Experience in Linux and Python is a plus
Back to top