Expand your career beyond Oracle. We are looking for a Database Engineer with 5+ years of Oracle, PostgreSQL or MySQL experience to help move 1000+ Oracle databases to AWS (Amazon Web Services). This position offers the opportunity become an expert on AWS persistence technologies, including Aurora PostgreSQL, Aurora MySQL and RedShift. AWS Solutions Architect certification is a plus, if you don't have it, you will be given the opportunity to achieve it. The Amazon Big Data Technologies (BDT) team manages the databases that run Amazon.com, our DBAs support thousands of performance critical, highly available, massively concurrent, distributed Oracle databases on a UNIX/Linux platform.
The Database Engineer must be familiar with all aspects of database administration in a large scale Oracle environment, including but not limited to being able to install, upgrade, administer, maintain, and customize Oracle, MySQL, and PostgreSQL databases for both analytical and transactional environments. The Database Engineer will work with application teams to migrate existing Oracle databases to a variety of AWS persistence technologies. Aurora PostgreSQL, Aurora MySQL and RedShift to name a few. They will also mentor junior members of the BDT OLTP Database team.
- Provide expert technical Oracle DBA support for the company's production databases and associated technologies, including Oracle, MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- Perform database monitoring, maintenance, reorganizations, resource management, schema management, and capacity planning and performance tuning for the company's databases.
- Apply patches to fix bugs and/or enhance functionality as required and in conjunction with the company's procedures for change control.
- Provide technical architecture and design as required.
- Work with application owners to support database consolidation, migration and virtualization.
- Work with developers and analysts to support development efforts.
- Work with various internal teams such as server, storage, backup & network administration teams to coordinate and troubleshoot infrastructure related issues.
- Provide after hours support as required and be part of on-call rotation.
- 5+ years of consecutive Oracle database experience.
- Solid troubleshooting experience in the following areas- RAC, Performance tuning, Data Guard (Physical and Logical) Including Active Data Guard and DG broker, RMAN.
- Experience with additional database engines and technologies (MySQL, PostgreSQL, RedShift) a strong plus.
- Extensive knowledge of indexing, triggers, stored procedures, and functions.
- Experience with Data Conversion Strategies on various databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle).
- Experience with Database Partitioning Strategies on various databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle).
- Extensive knowledge of Oracle performance tuning techniques.
- Good organization and communications skills.
- Strong analytical thinking and excellent troubleshooting.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communications skills and the ability to clearly define projects, objectives, goals, schedules and assignments.
- Requires strong interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines.
- Oracle/PostgreSQL DBA experience in a 24x7 production environment.
- Experience with Postgres system metrics and optimization strategies.
- Expertise in one or more of: Python, Perl, Bash or other scripting language.
- Knowledge of AWS technologies a plus.
Nice to have
- PostgreSQL to Oracle/Oracle to Postgres migration experience a plus.
- Oracle Golden Gate replication experience.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top